more file formats?

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

mr d
Just popping in
Just popping in

more file formats?

Postby mr d » Thu Feb 23, 2006 03:26

will it be possible to use more file formats than just 24/32 bit tga's, perhaps 8 bit palletted. or the use of a seperate texture used in the alpha channel.
reason size.
3meg tga = 300k jpeg. understand jpegs, not a good choice for compressed graphic files but is there a compression skeem that can work in cegui.
use to do work in gaming and though i might make 24/32 bit images, they were always run through compression programs before being run in a game engine. most proprietary stuff that came with dev stations. wanted that memory back.

also would it be possible to use seperate textures for the alpha channel, same reason. say i wanted a transparent hole in what looked like a wall, odd looking interface, i might want a large limage for the wall itself; but just to make a transparent hole in the wall a small white texture with a black square in it would work fine.
this would mean that if that square shape could be used elsewhere i could re-use the small image instead of making a new one to go with the new texture.
is there a technical reason for using the higher bit images?

thank you mr d

Dalfy
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Dalfy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:58

Compiles your CEGUI version from source using DevIL and you will be able to open most image format.

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Thu Feb 23, 2006 18:10

support for mask images would definitely be a cool feature, but don't expect it for the next release...

I do agree that it should be investigated though... Thing is we have to do it in a generic fashion which will complicate all renderer modules...

mr d
Just popping in
Just popping in

tanks for responces

Postby mr d » Wed Mar 01, 2006 22:54

thank you for responding

mr d

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”