DX7 & 8 vs DX9 performance :/

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Treize
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Treize » Tue Dec 28, 2004 21:47

I don't know if it's just me but I've noticed that for a lot of things (including this GUI system) DX render rates are alot slower for DX9 than the earlier versions. It's like the more recent ur version of DX the slower it gets. With DX7 I get a framerate for the GUI demo of like 85FPS, while for the same demo I get like 30FPS average under DX9.. I don't know what MS did to pull this off, but at this rate, we'll be forced to keep buying faster systems to maintain the same performance. I thought they were supposed to optimize things, not make them slower. I realise things are added and that they might add to this slowdown but still, this is pretty major. Any ideas why this is the way it is? (they switched to an OOP approach just recently or something?)

BTW awesome job on the GUI system!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:53

I have noticed a difference between OGL and D3D, though I never took much notice of any difference between the D3D versions.

Maybe it's something to do with the retail/debug switch in the DirectX control panel applet? Only the later vesions respect this setting, so it could be related to this, though you've probably tried this already :)

Glad you like the system ;)

CE.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”