DX9 SDK / Compiling problems

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Derek
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 28, 2004 22:57

Long time no post (hey CE)!

Just posting about my experiences with compiling the dx8 renderer. It is highly recommended that you have the original dx 8 sdk (which i couldn't find). If not, and you get the dx9 sdk, the dx8 libs included will undoubtedly give you some error resembling "unresolved external __security_cookie". This is from the buffer security checks that MSVC++ links in. DX now requires a comipler compatable with that .net feature.

So if you get that error, you'll either have to hunt down for a dx8-era lib, or you'll have to upgrade to msvc++ .net.

But anyway, great GUI! I'm seeing how feasible it will be to switch to mk-2 from mk-1 right now. Currently everything is hard coded in. We're probably going to use a dll system though. Hopefully i wont get trapped in licensing hell (that is, the gui, xerces, stlport, etc!)!

-Derek

Derek
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 28, 2004 23:35

another thing, ce, is there a way to not use stlport? Or at least not have to distribute the stlport dll with everything?

-Derek

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:06

Hi,

I've not seen any issues with VC6 and using the DX9 SDK, though it could be some strangeness due to my having both VC6 and VS.NET '03 on the same machine. Dunno :? Thanks for the tip though (I had the original DX8 SDK download until a couple of days ago, but dumped it when cleaning out a load of stuff :roll: ).

I'd definately recommend Mk-2 over the the Mk-1 system; it totally wipes the floor with it ;) You shouldn't have too much in the way of licensing issues, I think CEGUI is the most restrictive part; the others mostly just require reproduction of some text in your docs.

As far as I know, to use the system on VC6 without STLport you basically need to adjust some parameters in the signatures which are related to the iterators in CEGUIString.h; everything else should be fine, though I have not tried this for many, many months.

Glad you're still with us :D

CE.

Derek
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 29, 2004 19:37

Hmmm.. well i'd use stlport, but the software that we're going to be using mk-2 (potentially) in is using the msvc CRT. I don't want to get stuck with any weird compatability issues between the two... (since ill have to compile in stlport into my main project since some of the signatures in the header files use it).

-Derek

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:27

I might look into removing the requirement of STLport for VC6 users; the main PITA related to this is that it's "yet another" set of dependencies to build for Win32 users, although this is much simpler now due to the removal of the boost dependency :)

I'll try and remember to post back here if I decide to go ahead with this ;)

Derek
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Derek » Sat Jan 08, 2005 01:11

I'd like to get rid of this dependency myself... but i dont know what i should be editing.

-Derek

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Jan 08, 2005 09:18

I have this on my TODO shortlist, and am very much hoping to get it done this weekend.

CE.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”