New Site: Any problems? Post here!

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: New Site: Any problems? Post here!

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Feb 15, 2005 19:27

Exsortis wrote:
Oh yeah, what's with the HP/MP/EXP? :)

Just fun :)

This is how they're calculated (taken from the Xoops site)
HP is determined by your average posts per day.
MP is determined by your join date related to your post count.
EXP goes up each time you post, and when you get to 100%, you gain a level and the EXP drops to 0 again.

CE.

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Exsortis » Tue Feb 15, 2005 22:31

CrazyEddie wrote:
This is how they're calculated (taken from the Xoops site)
[...]

That's awesome. :lol: I like it!

CrazyEddie wrote:
Yeah, there is a auto-login hack for the site, though it's considered a bit of a security hole which is why I did not bother with it ;) I'll check the timeout on the cookie though.

I just use the user/pass auto-complete thing in my browser (Firefox) so I usually just have to press the log-in button without typing anything; which is not too much hassle.

Safari will usually auto-complete for me, but there are a couple sites that just plain confuse it. This must be one of them. :roll: I like Firefox a lot (use it almost exclusively when on Winders/Linux)...maybe I'll switch on OS X. Will be tough though: Safari is quite nice also.

-E

spannerman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby spannerman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 00:20

I like the new forum changes too. The little icons notifying of new posts etc. are a lot easier to follow.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Feb 16, 2005 09:40

Yeah, the new forums are a definate improvment. I would have done it sooner but there were some glitches on my test server, and I didn't want to risk wiping out the entire site, so I held back until I was confident that the upgrade would happen as desired.

There may be other (non forum) changes coming too, it all depends upon how things pan out, what time I have, and so on...

CE.

makob
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby makob » Thu Feb 17, 2005 00:21

The new forums are simply EXCELLENT!

I'm really really pleased to find the "view unread topics" thingie. I'm mostly a mailinglist/usenet-sort-of-guy, so not being able to see only 'new posts' is simply frustating...
Thank you for making my life endurable again ;) ;)

Thanks a bunch, and keep up the good job!

Btw, I like the Guinness guy -> :pint:
6 times 7 equals 42

vertigo
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby vertigo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 15:32

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 13:12

fixed

baxissimo
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby baxissimo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 02:36

I don't want to sound ungrateful, because obviously you've put a lot of your precious time into putting this forum together. But frankly, I cringe every time I have to visit these forums. The reasons are many:

1) The load times are atrocious. I'm not sure if it's the server or the internet connection it's hosted on, or because it's in the UK and I'm in Japan, or because of the heavyness of the format, but anyway it takes between 5 to 8 seconds for every single basic operation. Posting takes even longer. I simply don't have the patience to even consider hitting the preview button.

2) The format is too busy. All these DHTML popups and stuff are distracting, as is the "Experience Point" system shown for every user. If people think the XP system cool, then great, make a link to the info for those who care, but I'd really rather not have to see this big garish block of information I don't care about attached to every single post. Such irrelavent info should be the single most visually salient thing on the page. The one bit of info I do care about is WHEN an article was posted. That's in a tiny font down at the bottom of the post. I'm constantly mistaking the date when the user joined the forum for the posting date because the former is written in high contrast bright bold blue letters on a white background right at the top left corner, while the latter is in tiny black on gray lettering down at the bottom of the post.

3) Is it just me or is there no way to login other than going to the main CEGUI homepage? First, I would rather the site log me in automatically. Yes there are security issues, but for goodness sake, it's not like CEGUI.org.uk is a financial institution or something. But second there really really should be a way to login from any given forum page. It's really annoying to go to try to reply to a post only to see those messages at the bottom saying "You cannot start a new topic; You cannot reply to posts, etc" Hello? Why not? Is this topic locked or something? Oh wait... oh, ok. I guess I'm not logged in. Ok where's the login button? Huh? It's got to be on this page somewhere, right? No? Hmmm, where is it then? I could swear I saw it somewhere. The main forum page? Nope. Oh, yeh the CEGIO front page. Ok. Open CEGUI home page in a new browser window, etc etc you get the idea. Bottom line: Down where it says "You cannot reply" it should also say in big bold letters "YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN - TO LOG IN CLICK HERE".

4) I wish there were a big prominent link at the top-level forum page for "what's new". I think there is such a feature -- I found it once -- but it's got some name that wasn't obvious to me, like "list all", or perhaps it was buried in one of those DHTML menus.

Those are the main things. I'll admit that part of the problem is that I just don't like forums very much. But I don't feel the same level of dread at all when I go visit the ogre3d forums. The pages look clean, not busy, they load up quickly, all the links you need are right at the top of every page, and I get logged in automatically.

jacmoe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby jacmoe » Sat Jan 14, 2006 19:25

I agree completely.

The load times are a pain in the but.:x

I find that using FireFox makes it barely bareable, but still it feels like swimming in oil.. :?

So I spend much less time on the CEGUI forum that I would like to. :(

steven
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby steven » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:16

Not to be able to edit previous messages is annoying.

For example, in the thread about compiling Cegui with Mingw I provide CB files.
(See http://www.cegui.org.uk/modules/newbb/v ... 9&start=20 )

But as they are work in progress they are changing and I can't simply change the "old" versions for new versions.

And I see with the statistics that people are downloading the OLD ones and I can't even put a warning in the first message to tell them "Take the newer version from the last message."

I can't even correct my bad english.

PS : On ogre this possiblity doesn't seem to pose any problems.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 14:05

It is perfectly possible to edit your posts, and also to delete and modify attachments. Funnily enough, this is accomplished by pressing the "Edit" button at the bottom right of your post.

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Mon Jan 16, 2006 14:51

I think there may be some truth to the edit issue. Before you upgraded my account, I was only able to edit posts that did not yet have any replies IIRC.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 14:59

Before posting that response, I created a "normal" level account for me to test with, made a test post, replied to it with an attachment, and then proceeded to edit them both.

I encountered no issues; so can't say anything else on the subject until I am able to reproduce such an issue, if any exists.

steven
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby steven » Mon Jan 16, 2006 16:26

CrazyEddie wrote:
It is perfectly possible to edit your posts, and also to delete and modify attachments. Funnily enough, this is accomplished by pressing the "Edit" button at the bottom right of your post.

Yes for your LAST message. I meant every messages, especially the first in a thread.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 18:56

Yet, as I already said above, when I tested it, I was able to edit both the original message and the message posted as a reply.

So, basically, there's not much I can do since I was unable to reproduce the behaviour.

However, I have looked at some settings and made some minor adjustments - can you try the edit now and let me know if anything has changed.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”