Panda3D renderer.

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Salbutamol
Just popping in
Just popping in

Panda3D renderer.

Postby Salbutamol » Mon Oct 26, 2009 19:59

I'm considering doing a CEGUI renderer for the Panda3D engine, would you guys consider incorporating it into CEGUI along the other 5 renderers? Whether you'll incorporate it or not is an important factor in my decision. Also, I think I'll figure it out but... is there some indispensable document or something like that about writing renderers? Thanks in advance.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Re: Panda3D renderer.

Postby Jamarr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 21:03

Hi. You'll probably have to wait until CE gets back for a definitive answer here. As I am not envolved in that I can only assume that it would depend on library and the community of Panda3d.

Taking OGRE and Irrlicht for example, both have fairly large followings and are open-source. I looked at the Panda3d site and it looks like it has a decent following in addition to being open-source, so I think you can make a good case. Especially if you are going to write the initial renderer yourself :) Does Panda3d also have it's own resource-system? If so, you may want to look at creating a custom ResourceProvider for Panda3d as well.

In regards to writing renderers I'm not aware of any particular essential document, but the renderers CEGUI already provide should be easy enough to port. I haven't looked at the v0.7.1 renderer code yet, but I can tell you the v0.6.2 OpenGL renderer was fairly simple.
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

Taldor
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Taldor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 20:04

Any updates about this initiative?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 20:41

Hi,

Didn't spot this posting earlier due to me being away at the time. Anyway, to answer the points from the OP...

Getting the code included into CEGUI requires two main things; first, that the code be of a decent overall quality and follows our style guidelines (http://cegui.org.uk/docs/current/code_standards.html), and second, if it gets included into the code tree, you have to maintain it ;)

As regards to documentation, there is a brief overview document here: http://pdt.myby.co.uk/cegui/files/CEGUI ... odel-2.pdf though it's probably more tailored to people updating existing renderer modules. In addition to this, you should use the existing renderers as a guide; generally speaking the OpenGL renderer should be considered more of a reference implementation - though don't follow it blindly and end up trying to fit a square peg into a round hole (i.e. if the engine architecture calls for something different, do something different ;)).

HTH

CE.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”