Expensive GUI.. Something wrong?

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

tedlin01
Just popping in
Just popping in

Expensive GUI.. Something wrong?

Postby tedlin01 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 15:04

Hello!

In release I drop from 160 FPS to 25 FPS when I enable the GUI. How can this be?
Note: All objects is in format: DDS

Last edited by tedlin01 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Expensive GUI.. Something wrong?

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 15:34

Surely this is another joke posting? Either make posts that we have some chance of answering, or do not make posts at all. Thanks.

CE.

tedlin01
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby tedlin01 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 05:51

I can't see the funny in it, it's a simple question :)

I can think of several answers myself:
e.g 1: Dont use custom fonts, its slow
e.g 2: How about this? It's a common misstake.
e.g 3: Check out these few things..
e.g 4: Please post this and that
e.g 5: Are you sure you set up InjectTimePulse correct?
e.g 6: The GUI is this performance-expensive. Live with it!

A picture says more then 1000 words, right? :P
x CEGUI 0.6.2
x About 35 objects. 25 Text and 10 buttons/images.

But I did some more testing on other computers and the funny thing is that the result is as follows:

Computer 1:
Without GUI: 160 FPS
With GUI: 30 FPS

Computer 2:
Without GUI: 170 FPS
With GUI: 160 FPS

Computer 3:
Without GUI: 240 FPS
With GUI: 220 FPS

Conclusion:
Something wrong with Computer 1.. We made sure he got all the latest drivers and direct X updated. Also tried playing with the graphic settings on the driver but nothing helped. I don't have the computer beside me at this time so I can't tell you the exact setup but do anyone have any idéa what this possible can be? :S

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02

tedlin01 wrote:I can't see the funny in it, it's a simple question :)

It is a simple question, though unfortunately not simple to answer - otherwise you would have found the answer when you searched, right? With the information originally provided (i.e. none what so ever), we have no chance at all of identifying any possible cause. Given that, the post could only have been an attempt at humour :P

As far as asking for the info we need or want, there is a forum post here that tells people the minimum of information to post, and I've stated that I'm no longer going to keep asking for it when people do not post it; I'm tired of people wasting my time in that manner - it's been going on for six years you know, and that's enough to grind anybody down! ;)

tedlin01 wrote:A picture says more then 1000 words, right? :P

This is true, and while the picture shows a possible parachute failure of some kind, unfortunately in this case the picture does not convey any of the diagnostic information that might have proved useful in this instance ;)

tedlin01 wrote:x CEGUI 0.6.2
x About 35 objects. 25 Text and 10 buttons/images.

See, this is useful information. Though you should also include the renderer you're using, the compiler, linking information, operating system, and so on and so forth. There are so many variables, that without this level of detail, there is no possible chance of guessing what any issues might be. Indeed, even with the information, it's not going to be something we can easily identify.

tedlin01 wrote:But I did some more testing on other computers and the funny thing is that the result is as follows:

Computer 1:
Without GUI: 160 FPS
With GUI: 30 FPS

Computer 2:
Without GUI: 170 FPS
With GUI: 160 FPS

Computer 3:
Without GUI: 240 FPS
With GUI: 220 FPS

Conclusion:
Something wrong with Computer 1.. We made sure he got all the latest drivers and direct X updated. Also tried playing with the graphic settings on the driver but nothing helped. I don't have the computer beside me at this time so I can't tell you the exact setup but do anyone have any idéa what this possible can be? :S

This is very useful diagnostic information. Given the information we now have, it appears to be hardware related - so now I ask, when you can get the info, what is the video hardware (and other hardware) in Computer 1?

CE.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 20:50

the list of smilies could really use a :rofl: animation...because I am actually rolling on the floor right now... :lol:
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:09

Ask, and ye shall receive :rofl:

ShiftZ
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby ShiftZ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 21:33

Why not use ide performance profiler to locate the problem first?

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”