Layout Editor

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Layout Editor

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Dec 04, 2004 21:18

Oh, okay then :P

Basically, at some point in the future I'm considering adding XML output support to various parts of the system (the idea originated as a means of outputing dynamically created fonts and Imagesets for later use). The 'isDefault()' thing would form part of that, should I decide to do full support and offer in-built writing of windows to xml.

This will not be for a little while yet anyway...

CE.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Sun Dec 12, 2004 14:33

Hi all,

i just rebuild the editor against the fresh 0.1.0 release and things seem to work fine. (http://www.2dgame-tutorial.com/downloads/CELayoutEditor.zip). I advise however to put your layouts in the root folder of the location you choose to unpack the editor. For some reason it expects the file GUILayout.xsd to be in the same folder as where you select a layout from... Maybe it has something to do with that i now use CE's 'datafiles' folder structure, but i'll have to figure that out.

Have fun :-)

BTW working on some bugs, such as selecting wrong windows sometimes and saving multi column lists. So no new features until that time ;-)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Layout Editor

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 09:19

Thanks for the updated version to work with 0.1.0 :)

For some reason it expects the file GUILayout.xsd to be in the same folder as where you select a layout from...

Yeah, that's the default behaviour (wasn't it always like this?).

CE.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:32

Thanks for the updated version to work with 0.1.0 :)

And thank you too for the new release :-)

Yeah, that's the default behaviour (wasn't it always like this?).

It probably was, but i was always lazy and just added the files in the root folder ;-)

Never mind, i'll come up with a just-in-time copy action or something ;-)

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Wed Dec 15, 2004 16:09

Hi,

thanks for enjoying it! :-)

About the bug: when saving a layout i skip __auto_ windows, so i think the ones you mentione are tagged differently and have to be added to this check as well. I will look into this. Thanks for telling me!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Layout Editor

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 21:49

About the bug: when saving a layout i skip __auto_ windows, so i think the ones you mentione are tagged differently and have to be added to this check as well. I will look into this. Thanks for telling me!

I'll check the code tomorrow and change the names as needed so that the tab widget parts conform to the same naming pattern as the other widgets.

CE.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Tue Dec 28, 2004 20:20

Sorry for the late reply. I have added the bugs to my list (seriously). Believe it or not, i'm (slowly) fixing the bugs you guys bring to my attention :-)

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Tue Dec 28, 2004 20:29

A little thoughts on List and ColumnLists. As some of you have already found out, the results are not as expected, especially not when saving ;-)

Today i dug into demo6, which shows how to programmatically manage Lists, and it works differently from adding windows and setting parents.

So i'm thinking of unsupporting them until i have found a special-case solution for these widget types.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Layout Editor

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:50

I understand that it's a real shame that it's not possible to specify list items (or columns for the grid), via XML files.

For items its was a concious decision; I could either limit users to one or two possible 'item types' and have specification via XML possible, or sacrifice that and allow users to have anything they want in a list. I still think the trade-off was worth it ;)

For columns in the grid, I may go back and make it possible to specify columns via XML. I'll have to think about this a bit more though ;)

CE.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Fri Dec 31, 2004 08:22

For columns in the grid, I may go back and make it possible to specify columns via XML. I'll have to think about this a bit more though ;)
CE.

I don't think this would make it less context sensitive to any editor. Because probably a "row" widget for example wouldn't be of much meaning when not using it inside an Multilistcolumn, would it?

For now i'm thinking of replacing my "addWindow" method with a "addContextSensitiveWindow" method or something. And maybe enhancing the "addWindow" dialog with buttons such as "add row", "add column", or make the entire dialog context sensitive to the current parent window.

So when you click the "add Window" button on the main dialog, the "add window" dialog will show something like: "You are adding a child to a <parent's type here>. The following actions apply:" Then followed by a list of widgets and buttons.

I'll do some thinking and designing on it :-)

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Layout Editor

Postby scriptkid » Fri Dec 31, 2004 08:45

Bug/Glitch: When the Close Layout button is clicked, a dialog appears asking if the project should be saved. When cancel is clicked, it closes without saving, instead of just continuing as normal (as other apps do). Not major, just somthing else to add to the list :)

You're right, sorry if you lost work!

I just wondered if this app is/is going to be open source? I'm working on an free game that is going to be released with a modding SDK, and would like to be able to add some specific features to the editor and release it in the SDK... Any chance of this?

I have been thinking about this for a while, but am not sure yet. I don't think its big enough to have its own project in sourceforge or a similiar type of hosting.

An option can be to host it at this (crazy eddie's) site in a sort of "addons" folder like Ogre does for example, which i have to discuss with him first of course.

But independent of that, i don't have objection against sharing the source-code with people who think it can add to their project.

Would it be an idea to add the sources to the downloadable zip file?

I'm just trying to come up with the most practical apprauch here, so please let me know your ideas and suggestions :-)

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”