*sigh* COMPILED BINARIES - PLEASE

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Van
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

*sigh* COMPILED BINARIES - PLEASE

Postby Van » Mon Aug 15, 2005 23:27

Is it too much to ask to have stable releases in BIN distributions? :roll:

I dispise the fact that I have to spend hours back-tracing and getting the library to compile by having to download (and sometimes compile) dependency libraries. Its a big waste of my time. I just want to utilize the library, not fart around with trying to get it compiled.

And don't tell me "we don't do it because its not at 1.00". Please - who cares. If you want more people to use the library, make it EASY for them. It's like buying a car - you don't see me having to make and assemble the doors for it, do you? You have a great product and you want people to use it so, make it easy for them to do just that!! ;)

vertigo
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: *sigh* COMPILED BINARIES - PLEASE

Postby vertigo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 15:36

Might be stated a little hard but I would agree with Van. I'm having a VERY difficult time getting this API to compile. I spent 2.0 hours yesterday just trying to compile with NO luck.

If not binary files then at least a detailed tutorial for us guys that are new to the whole CVS / open source world.

Thanks

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Tue Aug 16, 2005 18:16

Hi,

i'm sorry to hear that it doesn't work yet. Below is the list of task which should do the trick.

The first thing you should think of is whether you want a stable release or a non-stable release (so-called "dayly snapshot" in sourceforge terms).

I advice you to download the lasest stable release (0.3.0).

So download the source package for your system (zip for windows, bz2 for linux).

Next (*important*) download the dependencies (also note the mentioned extensions). When you already are using STL-port, you can take the package without it. These dependencies must be unpacked into the folder where you unpacked the stable release.

You should at least be able to download these parts:
-CEGUIBase
-Falagard Base

In order to compile renderers you need either the DX9 sdk, the OpenGL sdk or the systems for the other renderers (like Ogre or Irrlicht)

To stay on topic, it might be an idea to overthink the binary-release issue once ;-)

Good luck and please clarify your problems so we can help you out :-)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 13:20

Yep. Most of the deps have been eliminated, and unless you're using VC6 without STLport, we provide compiled dependencies. Once these are unpacked to the correct place, all VC versions build by simply pressing the compile solution button.

As scriptkid says, some more information about the specific issue you're having would enable somebody to better advise.

My own opinions on pre-compiled CEGUI versions at this stage are well known.

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”