Page 1 of 1

Where are font symbols defined?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 17:40
by kungfoomasta
Most ttf files don't come with special characters like ` { } < > etc., but these all work when I type them into the text box. Where are the images to these symbols defined? Or can you just supply the unicode number, like 007D, and it will be printed out somehow? I am not familiar with use of unicode at all..

Thanks for any information,


Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 04:04
by kungfoomasta
Actually I believe I am wrong. :oops:

Many ttf files do include the symbols listed above, just that the one I was using didn't, and also double clicking on the ttf file does not show all symbols that are defined, which is very misleading.

For windows users, you can easily see what symbols are defined by placing the font in \Windows\Fonts, and running

Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Character Map

Try the program out for yourself, it will show you what the default windows fonts include. :)