msvcr80d.dll not found

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

RecyclingDuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

msvcr80d.dll not found

Postby RecyclingDuck » Sat May 19, 2007 21:47

Hey,

(at first - hi to the community ;) - first post)

I've a problem with my CEGUI-Configuration.
I try to use Ogre (newest release: 1.41) in combination with CEGUI.

But always when i initiate a cegui instance there apears following error:

The error seems to be triggered by the file: "CEGUIBase_d.dll", because this is the result of the dependencywalker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) :
http://www.sea-productions.de/Images/di ... epends.png

I've that problem since i use Ogre 1.41 instead of 1.40 or 1.2.
(Maybe I have to mention, that i had already in Version 1.40 troubble with CEGUI - it could be the same actuator)

Maybe someone have a hint for me - Thanks ;)

Ludi
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ludi » Sat May 19, 2007 23:51

It seems that the CEGUI libraries were compiled with Visual Studio 2005, but you are using an older version (VS 2003?) and therefore there are some missing dlls (to be exactly, the debug version of the visual c runtime).

One solution would be to download the CEGUI source and build it on your own.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Sun May 20, 2007 11:18

If you don't want to recompile, you can find those files here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
or here:
http://faux.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/vcredist/

RecyclingDuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby RecyclingDuck » Sun May 20, 2007 11:39

That's a little bit strange, because I'm using VS2005.

Could it be some malfunction of WinSxS ?
If it could be a help i would compile CEGUI on my own - should i try even if i use VS2005 ?
- Note: I'm from Germany, please tell me if i make some mistakes - that would help me ;)

Thanks!

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Sun May 20, 2007 13:16

You can try, but you will need to care about all the various linker options. I mean if you compile cegui with threaded and debug c runtime library, you can only use those dll's in projects compiled with threaded and debug c runtime library, else you get some strange crash !

PS: cool nickname :D

RecyclingDuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby RecyclingDuck » Sun May 20, 2007 13:46

scriptkid wrote:If you don't want to recompile, you can find those files here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
or here:
http://faux.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/vcredist/

Although I'm using VS2005 i tried to install the files. But as expected without success.

Pompei2 wrote:You can try, but you will need to care about all the various linker options. I mean if you compile cegui with threaded and debug c runtime library, you can only use those dll's in projects compiled with threaded and debug c runtime library, else you get some strange crash !

I'll try it. Hopefully it will succeed by doing so.

Pompei2 wrote:PS: cool nickname :D

Thank you ^^
- Note: I'm from Germany, please tell me if i make some mistakes - that would help me ;)

Thanks!

Ludi
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ludi » Sun May 20, 2007 16:43

The VC redist contains the release dlls only. It's not allowed to distribute the debug dlls (but some software contains them, even microsoft software), therefore you won't be able to get them legally without having VS2005.

Perhaps it's even possible, that the dlls where compiled with VS2005 SP1 and you don't have the SP installed. Try to build them on your own, it's not that complicated. And yes, use VS2005.

RecyclingDuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby RecyclingDuck » Sun May 20, 2007 18:05

You are right.
Service Pack 1 is the reason why msvcr80d.dll could not be found.
I installed the prebuild Version of CEGUI (not that one, which is included in Ogre) and CEGUIBase_d.dll wasn't the trigger anymore.
Now the trigger is ogremain_d.dll :(

I'll compile my own version of ogre and kill two birds with one stone.

Thank you for help ;)

Thanks!

Ludi
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ludi » Sun May 20, 2007 18:57

Na dann, viel Glück ;)

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Sun May 20, 2007 20:59

I'd like to compile CEGUI with vs6, as it didn't seem to have so much of those f***** dll dependencies ... but I never got it to compile :P

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Mon May 21, 2007 06:44

Vs6 wasn't dropped that long ago, after 0.4 stable but i don't think it works anymore indeed... The layout editor should still compile though, but i haven't tried for a while...

But i think that vs7 and 8 are much better compilers, optimization wise and such. But i stick to vs7 myself for a while :)

Ludi
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ludi » Mon May 21, 2007 09:30

You can get rid off all the dll dependencies, if you link statically against the C/C++ runtime.

You can find it under Solution Properties / C/C++ / Code Generation / Runtime Library.

When you use Multithreaded (MT) or Mulithreaded Debug (MTd), all the C/C++ functions / methods will be embedded in your exe/dll, instead of being loaded from those runtime dlls.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Mon May 21, 2007 13:58

Yes, but if you embed them statically into your project, i dont know what you have to do withcegui lol ... i tryed to compile them statically into cegui - all worked but when linking cegui with my project i had damn lot of linker errors saying like "already defined" blabla ... when i didn't link it into cegui, i had other problems (didn't remember wich ones)

that's the main reason why i hate windows: the dlls :) I have much less problems with the libs in linux (maybeit's personal I don't know)

What I'd most like is to have EVERYTHING statically in my exe (including CEGUI) but that's too idealistic :cry:

edit: but this all is going off topic ... sorry :P

RecyclingDuck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby RecyclingDuck » Wed May 23, 2007 18:51

Hey Guys,

I think i made it :)

I compiled my own version of ogre (and my own version of cegui whilst). I'm not 100%ly sure, that now all dependencies are correct (I've still some errors to solve) - but I'm very optimistic.

It's just a question of time, when i've my next problem to solve - so I will get in touch.

PS: @Ludi: From Germany ^^ ?

once already: Thanks!

Thanks!

Ludi
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Ludi » Wed May 23, 2007 20:15

Well, I'm not a linux user, so I can't say anything about it. There are lots of pitfalls building dlls under windows, but when you went through all the 1001 pitfalls, you will gain so much experience until you're a dll-god ;).
It's currently not possible to link statically against CEGUI (due the old LGPL licence), but I hope this will change in the future, if there will be a future of CEGUI.

@RD: Yo, ich bin aus Germanien. Um genau zu sein bin ich aus Hessen. Freut mich zu hören, das alles geklappt hat :) Viel Glück für dein Projekt.

Return to “Help”