Double click speed

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

LennyH
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Double click speed

Postby LennyH » Fri Aug 08, 2008 15:48

We have recently updated our project to use CEGUI 0.6.1 (we use Delta3D, but needed a newer version of CEGUI for the slider thumb fix).

We have issues with click speed, in particular, double clicking. Initially, with no setting, the speed needed to double click was ridiculously fast, to the point that expecting a user to double click so fast was out of the question.

I did some searching here, and found the setMultiClickTimeout function. From the description, it sounded like I could set a time for how long a user has to click to trigger a multiclick. IE, if I set it for 2 seconds, I would expect that if a user clicks once, he can then click again anytime within 2 seconds to trigger the multiclick.

However, this does not seem to be the case. If I set it for 2 seconds, the user needs to click again at about 2 seconds to trigger the multiclick, not before.

Obviously, the first behavior is the desired behavior, not the one being exhibited. Is there a different function I should be using to change the delay for acceptable multiclicks?

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 16:18

The default double-click speed is set to .33 seconds, which actually turns out to be the ideal speed for normal users. Setting the speed to 2 seconds just seems absurd, unless you are designing this specifically for the mentally challenged?

Anyway, as to the behavior you are experiencing, I can verify that it is working correctly. If I set the double-click speed to 2s, I can click anytime within those 2 seconds to trigger the event. This leads me to believe that you are probably not injecting time correctly into the CEGUI system via injectTimePulse().

LennyH
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby LennyH » Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:59

Jamarr wrote:The default double-click speed is set to .33 seconds, which actually turns out to be the ideal speed for normal users. Setting the speed to 2 seconds just seems absurd, unless you are designing this specifically for the mentally challenged?

Anyway, as to the behavior you are experiencing, I can verify that it is working correctly. If I set the double-click speed to 2s, I can click anytime within those 2 seconds to trigger the event. This leads me to believe that you are probably not injecting time correctly into the CEGUI system via injectTimePulse().

Well of course 2 seconds is absurd, unless you read my post about WHY it was done.

As for your verification, that is distressing. We do not do anything in regards to CEGUI setup (ie, we don't handle injecting time, etc). It is handled by Delta3D. I'll cross post this over there, then, and see what turns up.

Thanks.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Tue Aug 12, 2008 15:41

lol, yeah sorry I sorta misinterpreted your post a bit; I thought you wanted 2s double-click spread but you just couldn't get it working.

Anyway, have you tried using Tooltips? And if so, do you have any trouble with them? I know that tooltips, among other things, also rely on injectTimePulse() so if tooltips are also not working correctly then that's an even stronger case for time not being injected right; if they are working, then your problem will likely be related to something else.

jtracy
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby jtracy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 16:36

I had just submitted a fix to Delta3D for version (2.0) which fixed a double click issue. The problem was that CEGUI would only get double click events when you actually triple clicked really fast. The fix was to rely on osg for detecting double click rates and them simulating those for CEGUI. It works fine, but there is one possible drawback. You can no longer use the setMultiClickTimeout function as we are relying on osg to determine double clicks. The good news is that the rate specified in Windows or Linux is used in osg, so you can use the window manager to control the double click rate. Here is my post on the Delta3D forums: http://www.delta3d.org/forum/viewtopic. ... le%20click

Judd

Return to “Help”