Very basic help needed with XML files

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

LearnerPlates
Just popping in
Just popping in

Very basic help needed with XML files

Postby LearnerPlates » Mon Jun 08, 2009 06:22

Hi - I'm new to both CEGUI and OGRE and am trying to figure out some CEGUI basics for a C++ project.

I apologise if this is stupidly elementary, but I've browsed through the forums and googled extensively and I'm still having difficulties. I was wondering if there are any basic tutorials anywhere that explain the relationships / dependencies between the various XML files CEGUI uses (.imageset, .layout etc), and / or that describe how to create your own XML files.

I've been trying to experiment on my own but am not getting very far - at the moment I have a myProject.imageset, myProject.layout, myProject.looknfeel and myProject.scheme. I made these by copying and renaming the TaharezLook files, then changing all the instances of "TaharezLook" within the files to "myProject". All I want at the moment is for my program to load the same data contained in TaharezLook through these files, but I guess this isn't the way to do it! I'm getting a blank screen and the following error in CEGUI.log:
loading of look and feel data from file myProject.looknfeel has failed
. If I load the original TaharezLook instead, though, using the same C++ code (and all instances of myProject switched to TaharezLook, of course), the program loads fine with no errors.. so the problem isn't in my code. Any suggestions?

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Re: Very basic help needed with XML files

Postby Jamarr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 16:37

Have you tried validating your xml files against the CEGUI schemas? Aside from the numerous xml-validators you can find on the net, CE made a command-line version here: https://crayzedsgui.svn.sourceforge.net ... tor/trunk/
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

earthsruler
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby earthsruler » Tue Jun 09, 2009 00:00

LearnerPlates
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby LearnerPlates » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11

Jamarr, that is very helpful! I had no idea there was a validator for the CEGUI XML files. earthsruler, I was already looking through the FalDocs page but hadn't seen the first page you linked to. Thank you both very much. :)

It's a shame there's no basic description of how to use the XML files anywhere - doing the tutorials on the CEGUI site really isn't enough. Through experimentation, I am finding that you can have multiple imagesets loaded in a project, but only one scheme - I'm not even sure if this is true; it's just what I've deduced. I'm not sure how you're supposed to learn these things as a newbie except by trial and error. :(

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 08:29

Hi,

I understand the frustration as regards to lack of certain categories of documentation. One of the goals for the coming 0.7.x releases is to integrate and improve the documentation situation - basically this will take all the existing CEGUI team originated documentation, references, tutorials, readmes and other stuff and unify them in a single place with additional 'glue' docs where needed.

There is a readme file in the XMLRefSchemas directory (http://crayzedsgui.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... ision=1609) that basically gives an overview of the XML formats (except Falagard; use the FalDocs for that) - though this readme is also slightly out of date, though I think it's mostly ok except for maybe the font description.

Thanks for your patience :)

CE

LearnerPlates
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby LearnerPlates » Sat Jul 11, 2009 13:38

Thanks for the assistance, CE. :-) (I'm sorry for the slow reply - I've been without internet access for a little while.)

Return to “Help”