Building CEGUI 0.7 for Ogre v1.7+

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

dredogol
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Building CEGUI 0.7 for Ogre v1.7+

Postby dredogol » Sun Feb 14, 2010 19:47

Alright, I'm following this guide:
http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/ ... reRenderer

but I'm stuck on this step:
3. In your CEGUI folder there should be a folder called "projects" with a subfolder called "premake". Get a version of premake and extract the premake.exe file into this folder.

I DLed the CEGUI SDK for v0.7.
I can't see to find "premake.exe", or know where to get a version of PreMake.
I can't find the "config.lua" file either.
Also, where is the "build_vs2008.bat" file at?

I should be able to finish the rest of that guide if I have those 3 things.
Thanks.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Building CEGUI 0.7 for Ogre v1.7+

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 08:51

Hi,

It seems a small typo in that wiki guide. It should not say SDK there, it should say the source package instead; it is in the source package where you will find the projects/premake directory along with the config.lua and batch files :)

Premake can be downloaded from the premake project (http://premake.sourceforge.net/), you should use the 3.6 or 3.7 versions of premake (our premake scripts are not updated for premake 4 at the moment).

HTH

CE.

dredogol
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dredogol » Mon Feb 15, 2010 15:27

Ah, thanks Eddie.
Not only should the CEGUI wiki be updated, but you should also tell the guys at Ogre to update theirs as well. :)

=== EDIT ... comment removed ===
Last edited by dredogol on Tue Feb 16, 2010 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

dredogol
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dredogol » Tue Feb 16, 2010 03:22

I ran into an error during the build process for CEGUIOgreRenderer (from SOURCE)...

Code: Select all

1>CEGUIFontManager.cpp
1>e:\+ installs - programs\ogre_3d\program - cegui_source (v0.7.1)\cegui\include\ceguifreetypefont.h(37) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ft2build.h': No such file or directory
1>CEGUIFontProperties.cpp
1>e:\+ installs - programs\ogre_3d\program - cegui_source (v0.7.1)\cegui\include\ceguifreetypefont.h(37) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ft2build.h': No such file or directory
1>CEGUIFont_xmlHandler.cpp
1>CEGUIFormattedRenderedString.cpp
1>CEGUIFreeTypeFont.cpp
1>CEGUIGlobalEventSet.cpp
1>CEGUIPCRERegexMatcher.cpp
1>e:\+ installs - programs\ogre_3d\program - cegui_source (v0.7.1)\cegui\include\ceguipcreregexmatcher.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pcre.h': No such file or directory
1>CEGUIPixmapFont.cpp
1>Generating Code...
1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\+ Installs - Programs\OGRE_3D\PROGRAM - CEGUI_SOURCE (v0.7.1)\projects\premake\BaseSystem\obj\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>CEGUIBase - 6 error(s), 38 warning(s)
2>------ Build started: Project: CEGUIOgreRenderer, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>Linking...
2>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '../../../../lib/CEGUIBase_d.lib'
2>Build log was saved at "file://e:\+ Installs - Programs\OGRE_3D\PROGRAM - CEGUI_SOURCE (v0.7.1)\projects\premake\RendererModules\Ogre\obj\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
2>CEGUIOgreRenderer - 1 error(s), 26 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Those were the error I found during the DEBUG build process.
Yes... I pointed to the correct lib/debug folder for the Ogre files.

Also, when I tried to do the SDK build (after I copied everything from the Source\premake folder to the SDK\premake folder)... I got these errors:

Code: Select all

1>------ Build started: Project: CEGUIBase, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Embedding manifest...
1>.\obj\Debug\CEGUIBase_d.dll.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\+ Installs - Programs\OGRE_3D\PROGRAM - CEGUI_SDK (v0.7.1_vc9)\projects\premake\BaseSystem\obj\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>CEGUIBase - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
2>------ Build started: Project: CEGUIOgreRenderer, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>Embedding manifest...
2>.\obj\Debug\CEGUIOgreRenderer_d.dll.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
2>Build log was saved at "file://e:\+ Installs - Programs\OGRE_3D\PROGRAM - CEGUI_SDK (v0.7.1_vc9)\projects\premake\RendererModules\Ogre\obj\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
2>CEGUIOgreRenderer - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Little help please?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 09:51

Hi,

The first block of issues appear to be because you don't have the cegui dependencies package extracted to the correct location. This is covered - a bit briefly - here: http://cegui.org.uk/docs/current/compil ... ling_sec_5 Basically you have to grab an appropriate dependencies package and extract it so that you get a new directory 'dependencies' in the root directory of the extracted CEGUI source distribution (i.e. in the CEGUI-0.7.1 directory).

With regards to the second set of issues... :) If you're using the source distribution, you should forget about the SDKs. There is no need to copy any files into the SDKs, the only thing in the SDK to be built is the samples and these are also available in the source distribution. Basically the SDK is a subset of the source distro - everything you can do with the SDK you can do with the source version, but the opposite is not always true. So, because you're having to use the source distribution in order to build an updated CEGUIOgreRenderer, I would get that working and leave the prebuilt versions completely - otherwise you can end up making things unnecessarily complicated and have the potential to introduce other issues down the road.

CE.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 09:56

With regards to this:
dredogol wrote:Not only should the CEGUI wiki be updated, but you should also tell the guys at Ogre to update theirs as well. :)

If the original contributor does not fix the issues, it would be appreciated if you did it. I cant possibly maintain every article on the Wiki in addition to everything else I already do - unfortunately there are only so many hours in the day ;)

Btw, I know our Wiki is horribly slow a lot of the time - it's an issue I will be looking into, though currently I'm still monitoring the forum software for issues. Once I'm happy the forum is fixed (and it's looking like it is at the moment), I will turn my attention to the Wiki and fix that too.

CE.

dredogol
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby dredogol » Tue Feb 16, 2010 16:02

Thanks Eddie. :)

FYI ... I found the /Dependencies folder from the SDK root folder, and copied it to my Source root folder.
After that, everything went smoothly.

BTW... why doesn't the Source have the Dependencies folder :?:

[Solved]

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:46

The dependencies are a separate download - this is because you need a matching set for your compiler (vc7.1, vc8, vc9, or Mac Xcode). They're available through the download page and the 0.7.1 release announcement page (as well as directly via sourceforge, of course).

For example, the 0.7.1 announcement contains this:

HTH

CE.

Return to “Help”