Custom Skinning

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

dehseth
Just popping in
Just popping in

Custom Skinning

Postby dehseth » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46

Hello,

i am just new to cegui. I would like to know if cegui supports custom skinning. Like I want to create my own skin for a new game. Is it possible to skin a listbox's frame, scrollbars, and background with my own textures? thank you... :D

emarcotte
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Re: Custom Skinning

Postby emarcotte » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:03

Absolutely possible, and depending on what you do it is usually pretty easy.

http://www.cegui.org.uk/skins/ has a couple, but they may be out of date with the current version of CEGUI.

Currently there are a couple of parts you need to play with to do it, however. Basically a 'skin' is a combination of fonts, imagery, and look n feels. There is some documentation out there, for instance http://cegui.org.uk/docs/current/fal_man.html. I find that actually looking at the files provided with CEGUI is the best way to see how a given component works though.

Basically you provide some image(s) and the image set file which defines the regions in those images that map into various parts of your UI. The look n feel defines how a Window looks, which image regions go where etc. I don't know how other people develop skins, but basically I use the default look n feel (TaharezLook) and replace imagery bits when I need to. I have only rarely made a couple of changes to a looknfeel file.

There is a tool in the works to make this all a bit easier as well.

Return to “Help”