x64 with vc2010 (or windows 7 SDK) dll

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

ERSmith
Just popping in
Just popping in

x64 with vc2010 (or windows 7 SDK) dll

Postby ERSmith » Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:19

Hello again everyone.

I find myself in a predicament. I had been happily using CEGUI and Ogre with an VS 2005 on a windows xp (32 bit) computer. I have recently aquired a newer computer that is windows 7 (64 bit) so I had the bright idea to recompile everything for that platform.

I knew it would be hard but failed to imagine the darkness of the nightmare that was ahead for me.

Ogre, I have compiling fine now. That is a subject for their forums. My attention then turned to CEGUI as that is the library I learned to use with Ogre and so I want to continue using it. This is where things turn dark. I grabbed the precompiled dependencies for vc2010 and compiled. To be fair, the actual CEGUI code compiles properly but it did pop up some fairly familar warnings. I ignored them like any good computer scientist right? Windows would not have that.

I dilligently did a search for 64 but dependencies and found a thread about it and even some unofficial 64 bit compiled dependencies. "Great", I thought. Zlib was missing but I managed to get that compiled in 64 bit.

Then I began to run into the problem that cropped up with the old ATL fix. Everything is compiled with msvcrt100.dll. Except, it turns out, those unofficla 64 bit dependencies. Those were done with msvcrt80.dll. Very unfortunate, but it explained the problems.

So I took up the cross of recompiling all of the depenencies for 64bit and using windows 7sdk libraries (which are vc100 anyway). This was going well, I think. I can't test any of it because when I arrived at Expat, I ran into an insurmountable problem. For some odd reason compiling that requires something called bscmake.exe. Ok, I tried to find some solutions but in the meantime started on FreeImage.

Freeimage begins to give me complaints about Iterator_debug_level and then what appears to be multiple copies of functions already found in libraries.

So to cut this already long story short. Has anyone out there already compiled the CEGUI dependencies for VS2010 (v100) and x64 (64 bit)?

In the end, what I am really aiming for, is a CEGUIBase and CEGUIOgreRenderer compiled for v100 and 64bit.

Thank you for any help and if I did somehow miss it in my searches then I apologize.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: x64 with vc2010 (or windows 7 SDK) dll

Postby Kulik » Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:24

I think 99% of the trouble of getting it to compile as 64bit under windows are the dependencies. In theory there is nothing stopping the compilation in CEGUI itself.

To be honest I just don't see the benefit from working with 64bits outside professional applications so even though I have a 64bit PC with Win7, I compile all my stuff as 32bit.

If I recall correctly, CrazyEddie said that supporting 64bit windows officially in CEGUI 0.8 is the plan.

ERSmith
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: x64 with vc2010 (or windows 7 SDK) dll

Postby ERSmith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:23

Kulik wrote:I think 99% of the trouble of getting it to compile as 64bit under windows are the dependencies. In theory there is nothing stopping the compilation in CEGUI itself.

To be honest I just don't see the benefit from working with 64bits outside professional applications so even though I have a 64bit PC with Win7, I compile all my stuff as 32bit.

If I recall correctly, CrazyEddie said that supporting 64bit windows officially in CEGUI 0.8 is the plan.

You are right about that. The dependencies are the biggest pain. CEGUI compiled very nicely before I attempted this exercise.

Return to “Help”