Fade/Transparent Effect at Top + Bottom of Buttons

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

CENUBI
Just popping in
Just popping in

Fade/Transparent Effect at Top + Bottom of Buttons

Postby CENUBI » Wed Jul 18, 2012 19:22

Hi everyone,

Forgive me for the truly beginner's question here, but I've been trying to find out what property it is on CEGUI elements (for example, a PushButton) that controls an odd 'Fade'-like effect at the top and bottom of buttons. I've attached a screenshot for clarification.

Please let me know if there's any other information needed, but I 'feel' like the solution to this should be so straightforward, I just don't know what properties control the effect.

Thank you!

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Fade/Transparent Effect at Top + Bottom of Buttons

Postby Kulik » Wed Jul 18, 2012 19:42

While I can't possibly know I would guess that it's just the imagery there.

CENUBI wrote:Forgive me for the truly beginner's question here,

Why would you put this into the Advanced help subforum then?

CENUBI
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CENUBI » Thu Jul 19, 2012 03:28

This seemed to fit in the category of the types of questions being asked, so I started here.

As for the file itself, the graphic used for this button is simply a solid blue, no gradients at the top or bottom. I've also noticed a similar effect being applied to the handle of a scroll bar. Buttons of shorter height make this effect much harder to notice (but still visible).

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:10

It could be a ColourRect being applied there on the edges.

This is definitely a beginner question. It also requires a team of prophets. Post your looknfeel if you want to know.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:12

This issue is caused by the filtering that is applied when stretching images extracted from a texture atlas (i.e a CEGUI Imageset). Basically, you will need to supply an extra pixel on any edges of any image that will be stretched, this can be done either by adding the extra pixel in a graphic editing program, or by adjusting the image definition position and size in the imageset xml (which may or may not be appropriate, depending on the image).

This is not an issue specific to CEGUI, the video hardware is doing the filtering and this issue showing up is just CEGUI exposing a little of what goes on 'under the hood'.

CE.

CENUBI
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CENUBI » Thu Jul 19, 2012 15:04

This issue is caused by the filtering that is applied when stretching images extracted from a texture atlas (i.e a CEGUI Imageset). Basically, you will need to supply an extra pixel on any edges of any image that will be stretched, this can be done either by adding the extra pixel in a graphic editing program, or by adjusting the image definition position and size in the imageset xml (which may or may not be appropriate, depending on the image).

This is not an issue specific to CEGUI, the video hardware is doing the filtering and this issue showing up is just CEGUI exposing a little of what goes on 'under the hood'.

CE.

That seemed to have done the trick. Yeah I really didn't know what caused that effect, but I'm glad you knew immediately what it was.

Thanks CrazyEddie!

Return to “Help”