Build confusion - [SOLVED]

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Nickenstein79
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Build confusion - [SOLVED]

Postby Nickenstein79 » Fri May 10, 2013 07:02

Hi, I've just followed Eddie's build video (this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nWm5aec8xkE)

It all worked perfectly as per the video. So I have no problems actually building CEGUI.

But when I bootstrap CEGUI in my game init function (Using Ogre1_8_1, CEGUI 0.7.9), I get an exception stating that 'SILLY_d.dll' does not exist on my computer.

When I built CEGUI it created "CEGUISILLYImageCodec.dll" and "CEGUISILLYImageCodec_d.dll", which I have copied into my game's build folder alongside the *.exe (with all of the other DLLs that were built), but no actual file called "SILLY_d.dll" was built when I built CEGUI.

I assume that when it attempts to load the required DLLs it appends the "CEGUI" and "ImageCodec" parts of the file name from some filenamepaths that I need to specify somewhere.

Also, this may be a result of me linking in the lib files that got created when I built the DLLs.
That is actually my main confusion: I am linking in the libs AND using the DLLs at the same time. I assumed this to be the correct usage as those libs still got built when I ran the NON-STATIC Debug and Release build configs.

Or is it just that I need to rename the DLLs to "SILLY.dll" and "SILLY_d.dll" ?

EXTRA APOLOGIES IF THIS IS A QUESTION THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED ON THE FORUMS ALREADY. (I've only got about an hour a day to tinker with this before I have to commute to work.)

Cheers,
Nick
Last edited by Nickenstein79 on Sat May 11, 2013 02:56, edited 2 times in total.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Build confusion

Postby Kulik » Fri May 10, 2013 08:43

Hi,
SILLY.dll and CEGUISILLYImageCodec{_d,}.dll are all entirely different. In fact, it's CEGUISILLYImageCodec.dll that depends on SILLY.dll.

Before copying every single library into your executable folder, I suggest learning to use a very useful tool for these problems called depends32.exe (http://www.dependencywalker.com/). Open your final executable with it and it will tell you everything that's missing. The SILLY.dll library is a CEGUI dependency, you will likely find it in the dependencies/ folder built somewhere.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:36

I will add that if you're using Ogre and using the CEGUI::OgreRenderer::bootstrap function but getting errors at runtime related to SILLY or the CEGUISILLYImageCodec then something is very wrong. When using Ogre, it is 99.9% certain that you want to be using the integrated Ogre image loading facilities and not SILLY or any other library.

Unless you know what you're doing and really want to use SILLY, please post your CEGUI initialisation code.

CE.

Nickenstein79
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Nickenstein79 » Fri May 10, 2013 20:39

Finally home!

Yes Kulik, it was just a case of copying the required DLLs from the CEGUI/dependencies folder into my game folder. Thanks for that. :)

@Eddie:

I use the following initialisation code -

Code: Select all

CEGUI::OgreRenderer& myRenderer = CEGUI::OgreRenderer::create();
CEGUI::System::create( myRenderer );

I just used the word 'bootstrap' as it got stuck in my head when I read the HowTo, but I am using the correct Ogre method to start the library.

Thanks again for the feedback, guys. Now I have a free weekend to properly get my teeth into this without having to bug people with trivial question. :)

Cheers,
Nick

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri May 10, 2013 23:14

Nickenstein79 wrote:but I am using the correct Ogre method to start the library.

Nope.

http://www.cegui.org.uk/api_reference/c ... c767b30177

HTH ;)

CE

Nickenstein79
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Re: Build confusion - [SOLVED]

Postby Nickenstein79 » Sat May 11, 2013 02:41

Ahh, yes!

I see where I went wrong now. I read this ( http://www.cegui.org.uk/api_reference/rendering_tutorial.html ) and somehow scrolled right past the part labelled "Easy way" and used the ogre instructions for "The hard way". Which resulted in the resource management system not getting properly configured as I had assumed it was being.

I'm putting it down to a lack of coffee this morning. ;)

Marking this thread as [SOLVED]

Cheers for the help,
Nick

:)

Return to “Help”