Quick question about skinning.

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Nickenstein79
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Quick question about skinning.

Postby Nickenstein79 » Mon May 13, 2013 06:16

Hi.

I've started doing my own Falagard skin to use in my game. At the moment it's just a clone of TaharezLook which I will do a draw-over of this week. Except I have upped the texture to 1024*1024 so I can do some high res detailing (Also made the image a PNG so that it displays in the unified editor).
I've quadrupled all of the positions and dimensions of the pieces in the ImageSet to match to new larger texture.

After doing this I ran the TextDemo.layout within the editor, and noticed that I needed to apply offsets to WindowLeftEdge and WindowRightEdge within the ImageSet editor. (+16 and -16 lined up perfectly).

This worked great within the editor, but was not reflected when I ran the layout in my game (all data correctly copied across to my game folder).

So my question is this:

Is there a way to make the CEGUI-lib in my game apply the offsets found in the ImageSet file (in the same way that the editor picks up the offset values and uses them), or will I have to poke around in the LookNFeel file to achieve the same results?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Quick question about skinning.

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon May 13, 2013 08:21

This should work as-is - CEED uses CEGUI to render its layout and preview content (different versions, but this should still work - nothing was 'fixed' relating to this in the version of CEGUI that CEED uses). It's possible that it's looknfeel related, but I don't think so. I will look into this a little more closely later and get back to you (because it's obviously something).

CE.

Nickenstein79
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Nickenstein79 » Mon May 13, 2013 17:04

Thanks, Eddie. :)

Extra info:

I'm using the OgreRenderer. CEGUI 0.7.9 built against Ogre_1_8_1.

This is my CEGUI setup code (In case you spot me doing something wrong here):

Code: Select all

// Start CEGUI
   CEGUI::OgreRenderer& myRenderer = CEGUI::OgreRenderer::bootstrapSystem();

// set the default resource groups to be used
   CEGUI::Imageset::setDefaultResourceGroup("Imagesets");
   CEGUI::Font::setDefaultResourceGroup("Fonts");
   CEGUI::Scheme::setDefaultResourceGroup("Schemes");
   CEGUI::WidgetLookManager::setDefaultResourceGroup("LookNFeel");
   CEGUI::WindowManager::setDefaultResourceGroup("Layouts");
   CEGUI::ScriptModule::setDefaultResourceGroup("Lua_Scripts");
   CEGUI::XMLParser* parser = CEGUI::System::getSingleton().getXMLParser();
   if (parser->isPropertyPresent("SchemaDefaultResourceGroup"))
      parser->setProperty("SchemaDefaultResourceGroup", "Xml_Schemas");

// SETUP CEGUI DEFAULTS
   CEGUI::SchemeManager::getSingleton().create( "TaharezLook.scheme" );
   CEGUI::FontManager::getSingleton().create( "DejaVuSans-10.font" );
   CEGUI::System::getSingleton().setDefaultFont( "DejaVuSans-10" );
   CEGUI::System::getSingleton().setDefaultMouseCursor( "TaharezLook", "MouseArrow" );
   //CEGUI::System::getSingleton().setDefaultToolTip( "TaharezLook/Tooltip" );

// start a layout
   CEGUI::WindowManager& wmgr = CEGUI::WindowManager::getSingleton();
   CEGUI::Window* myRoot = CEGUI::WindowManager::getSingleton().loadWindowLayout("TextDemo.layout");
   CEGUI::System::getSingleton().setGUISheet( myRoot );

// add an additional "hello world" window
   CEGUI::FrameWindow* fWnd = static_cast<CEGUI::FrameWindow*>(wmgr.createWindow( "TaharezLook/FrameWindow", "testWindow" ));
   myRoot->addChildWindow( fWnd );
   fWnd->setPosition( CEGUI::UVector2( CEGUI::UDim( 0.0f, 0 ), CEGUI::UDim( 0.0f, 0 ) ) );
   fWnd->setSize( CEGUI::UVector2( CEGUI::UDim( 0.25f, 0 ), CEGUI::UDim( 0.25f, 0 ) ) );
   fWnd->setText( "Hello World!" );

I have debug-stepped into:

Code: Select all

CEGUI::SchemeManager::getSingleton().create( "TaharezLook.scheme" );

The rawXML data that gets passed to XML_Parse is indeed the correct XML data found in my Scheme file.

and "Scheme& Scheme_xmlHandler::getObject() const" is returning a valid d_scheme that references 1 imageset, named "TaharezLook.imageset" as would be expected, so as far as I can tell the XML scheme is parsed correctly and the imageset loaded correctly.

Could it be the OgreRenderer not picking up on the offset values?

Cheers,
Nick

EDIT - I can work around this issue by setting the offsets back to zero, and instead increase the widths of the rectangles by 16 to achieve the same effect.

Nickenstein79
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby Nickenstein79 » Wed May 15, 2013 06:47

Just a bump to say:

This is very, very low priority, Eddie. (I already mentioned that I can easily work around the issue by not using offsets and just shift positions, add blank pixels, etc...)

Now that I have drawn my own set of widget pieces, my Hi-Res Re-Skin of TaharezLook doesn't actually need any offset values at all.
(Apparently my 'coder art' is quite good. Fellow games-industry-artists think I have a real artist chained up under the stairs to draw pixels for me.)

For anyone interested in CEGUI-Skinning:

Essentially, I am doing a Hi-Res re-skin of the TaharezLook ImageSet for my Operation-Roboid game (Because CEED works very well with the Taharez ImageSet, once you learn how to avoid the specific clicks that will crash the editor).

My Hi-Rez TahrezLook is now very visually similar to the 'Confluence-Skin' currently used as the main frontend for XBMC.

Which looks like this:

I'll upload some vids/pics of my Re-Skin when I'm fully happy with the look of it. (probably before Friday.)

Cheers,
Nick

Return to “Help”