Porting to 0.8 Fun - Slow like I'm in Debug

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

KishukuOni
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Porting to 0.8 Fun - Slow like I'm in Debug

Postby KishukuOni » Sun Aug 18, 2013 19:55

I've been porting from 0.7.4 to 0.8.2.

Code: Select all

18/08/2013 15:19:23 (Std)    ---- Version: 0.8.2 (Build: Jul 13 2013 GNU/Linux g++ 4.7.2 64 bit) ----
18/08/2013 15:19:23 (Std)    ---- Renderer module is: CEGUI::OpenGLRenderer - Official OpenGL based 2nd generation renderer module.  TextureTarget support enabled via FBO extension. ----
18/08/2013 15:19:23 (Std)    ---- XML Parser module is: CEGUI::RapidXMLParser - Official RapidXML based parser module for CEGUI ----
18/08/2013 15:19:23 (Std)    ---- Image Codec module is: SILLYImageCodec - Official SILLY based image codec ----
18/08/2013 15:19:23 (Std)    ---- Scripting module is: None ----

1) Main issue is: I feel like CEGUI is running in debug. I know I'm set in CMAKE to Release. All the .so files look like release files. But I am getting 40-60fps instead of the >1000 I was getting with 0.7.4 in release. I remember seeing speeds like this long ago when I was debug. I'm not a fan of CMAKE so i don't use it much so maybe I am missing something simple. Any ideas?

2) Porting looknfeels to 0.8 isn't fun. I couldn't find a wiki article defining the 0.8/1.0 looknfeel and would love to have one as that would have solved most of my pains.

3) I haven't used the clone function before. I had a custom one I wrote and used before (since the project started before the current one existed), but decided to move to the standard CEGUI clone. Comparatively it runs really really slow. I'm thinking this is related to my main issue above. (I haven't ported my clone function over, but maybe I should for comparisons to see if it is the function itself or the deeper issue I have with everything being slow.)

Thats all my griping for today. :) Thanks for listening and all the hard work.

@Kulik - CEED is really coming along. I'm really happy with snapshot 11. It's stability was what pushed us to make the jump to 0.8. So keep it up :pint:

KishukuOni
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: Porting to 0.8 Fun - Slow like I'm in Debug

Postby KishukuOni » Mon Sep 02, 2013 13:43

I ported my clone function over to 0.8 and it performed just as slow as the built in one. After I dug into the source code I realized that what I was doing was almost exactly the same as the official clone function. Therefore, that is not the problem.
I recompiled CEGUI in debug mode but it runs about the same. The word Debug now shows up in my CEGUI.log where before it did not. I'm still getting the same frame rate and the same slow window cloning. My problem remains: In Release mode CEGUI runs just as slow as in Debug mode, a problem I never had in 0.7, what am I missing?
No luck and I'm not sure what else to try.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Porting to 0.8 Fun - Slow like I'm in Debug

Postby Kulik » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51

Hi, could you please profile?

It's very hard to pinpoint performance problems without profiling.

Return to “Help”