Do I need to build the OGRE renderer module for Ogre?

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Aspirer
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Do I need to build the OGRE renderer module for Ogre?

Postby Aspirer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:49

I'm building CEGUI and using Ogre. I read this page http://static.cegui.org.uk/docs/current ... tions.html and it said that I should not mess with anything if I'm new to CEGUI. I am however I noticed that Cmake actually has an option called CEGUI_BUILD_RENDERER_OGRE, and also an option for CEGUI_BUILD_RENDERER_NULL. The NULL option is checked by default. Now in my experience null means "nothing" so I assumed that this meant that no renderer of any type would be built; unless I selected the ogre renderer. In this attempt I have not changed any of the configuration options. I just configured, generated, and I'm building right now. We will see how that goes! :D

I've just found these two options confusing. I did a little research and found that the NULL module is a generic renderer for any engine. Google took me to this website's documentation when I searched. That gave me reinforcement not to change the options and I haven't.

Just wanted to clarify and say that this option is kind of confusing. The wiki page that I used in the past was not helpful. There are a few steps in there which detail that you must add options to the project like "OGRE_FOUND", etc. link: http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/Building_CEGUI ... reRenderer

I don't think that wikipage is helpful because it doesn't work. I've had much frustration from it. Its also disorganized and inconsistent. The actual source compilation documentation on this website isn't mentioned in the wikipage. It does talk about the way to build the dependencies but it provides its own steps for compiling the actual CEGUI source. Its the most relevant option when searching "0.8.2" on the wiki which is how I found it. The wikipage also says to build the install project and use that when the documentation explicitly states not to.

I just want to be helpful! Cheers!

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Do I need to build the OGRE renderer module for Ogre?

Postby Kulik » Wed Nov 20, 2013 14:43

Yes, you need to build OGRE renderer if you want to use OGRE and CEGUI together. This will be checked automatically if CEGUI cmake configuration can find OGRE.

Null renderer is a dummy renderer that doesn't render anything. It is useful for testing but not so useful for actually using CEGUI.

The doxygen documentation is our main documentation, the wiki is maintained by the community. If you think a link would be useful in the wiki, add it.

Return to “Help”