Error linking with dl in Ubuntu (static build)

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

TotallyRandomName
Just popping in
Just popping in

Error linking with dl in Ubuntu (static build)

Postby TotallyRandomName » Thu Feb 06, 2014 21:59

I am trying to build the static profile of CEGUI 0.83 on Ubuntu 13.10, 64 bits. At the very end, compilation fails with:

Code: Select all

Linking CXX executable ../bin/CEGUISampleFramework-0.8_Static
/usr/bin/ld: ../lib/libCEGUIBase-0_Static.a(DynamicModule.cpp.o): undefined reference to symbol 'dlclose@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/CEGUISampleFramework-0.8_Static] Error 1
make[1]: *** [samples_framework/CMakeFiles/CEGUISampleFramework-0.8_Static.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

The dynamic libraries compile with no problems. Also, on Debian, the static profile builds flawlessly (same CEGUI version). Any ideas?

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: Error linking with dl in Ubuntu (static build)

Postby Ident » Fri Feb 07, 2014 00:18

First google result: http://askubuntu.com/questions/334884/w ... closeglibc
does this help?
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

TotallyRandomName
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby TotallyRandomName » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:34

Strange, in Ubuntu 12.04 everything compiles well :? (except for that "undefined reference to getWindowFactoryModule" error that I solve with the solution at http://cegui.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6473).

When I get home, I will try the solution provided in your link in 13.10.

EDIT: It did not work... I guess I will work with Debian.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Fri Feb 07, 2014 20:51

A pity it did not work because I can't really help here much, i do not use UNIX systems at the moment and have no experience with this error message at all and also none with the compiler you used. I would suggest you google the error message to learn what exactly it means and probably you will be able to find a fix on your own for Ubuntu 13.10. If you manage to find one we can add it to CEGUI asap via a pull request.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

TotallyRandomName
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby TotallyRandomName » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:21

I modified by hand a "flags.make" file, and added "-ldl" to the CXX compiler flags. Compilation progressed a bit, but then stopped with the same error at a different place. Even after adding that flag to all flags.make files, I still can't get it to compile...

The fact that compilation works in Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian stable, but not on 13.10 and Debian testing, makes me think that some change was made to the compiler, the linker, or the build system in newer Linux versions. But I don't know what, or how to fix it...

Return to “Help”