CEGUI In Practice - A Game Console

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

nicoo
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CEGUI In Practice - A Game Console

Postby nicoo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:35

Hi,
could you please check if the includes are correctly wrote in "CEGUI InPractice 6 - A game Console" I suspect it should be :

Code: Select all

#include <CEGUI/System.h>
#include <CEGUI/SchemeManager.h>
#include <CEGUI/colour.h>

also,

Code: Select all

iInstanceNumber
is it needed for cegui 0.8 ?

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: CEGUI In Practice - A Game Console

Postby Ident » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:52

Link to the page we talk about

The community wiki is not always updated by us because it is intended that the community updates the pages (forum login and password can be used to login at wiki). I often edit and create pages that I consider helpful and I occasionally update these pages. I think this how-to was written by a user who is nto active here anymore. So if you see that the whole thing works with your changes, then please feel free to edit the page, and finally you can even edit the version badge on top to 0.8, if it isn't set to this already!

"iInstanceNumber" <-- I think this is just a helper variable for you if you want to debug how many consoles you created. I don't see it used anywhere so you could remove it, you are right. It can come handy to have this variable, so you can be sure you have exactly "1" window (or maybe exactly "2", or whatever number you were expecting)

Regarding your includes - I do not know. Test it and see if it compiles and then edit it for later users if something was wrong and you fixed it. If you get a an error that you can't fix, post it here and we will help
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

superpws
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby superpws » Sun Mar 30, 2014 08:38

So here's the news :D I've edited the CEGUI In Practice series for 0.8.3 (except for CEGUI In Practice - A Game Console which already has edit). Version tag changed, doxygen links points to 0.8.3, C++/Python tab fixed etc. Also, I don't use Python so I tried to match it's API with C++ CEGUI so it may not work. If you are a Python user and find out that they don't work then please edit them.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:35

very cool, thanks. we are always happy about community edits

superpws
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby superpws » Tue Apr 01, 2014 18:33

CEGUI really rocks but it's documentation sucks at the same time. Most wiki articles are written for 0.6.x or 0.7.x whose API is quite different than 0.8.x. Converting them all to 0.8.x will break the compatibility for users that use older versions. Do you think we should edit them all (gradually) for 0.8.x?

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:32

superpws: Yes! But we need help with that.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:55

The best we can do is that we keep the official API docu up-to-date and even that is not always the case. Our priorities are fixing the bugs, improving CEGUI at all ends, and adding new, crucial features. Donations help us to be motivated to improve the docs as well ;) Other than that, it is in the hands of the community

nicoo
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby nicoo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 20:47

The tutorial doesn't work, there is several error, I didn't find how to change on the wiki page of the tutorial to remove "work with the last release" what is not the case. So plz just remove this false assertion

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Apr 09, 2014 20:49

Fix the errors and update the wiki please

nicoo
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby nicoo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 22:19

it's hard to clean the code since there is no the whole sources,
  • I updated the includes.
  • rewrote the output function, there was a object called FormattedListboxTextItem who is not present in 0.83... so I've adapted the code for ListboxTextItem
  • syntax correction CEGUI::colour to CEGUI::Colour.
  • for the XML part I remove the one for 0.8 (it didn't work) and put the one I'm using...

I think it's all I did. I hoppe I didn't put the mess inside... but the changes are the same in my code, my code will be avaible at my bitbucket
Last edited by nicoo on Wed Apr 09, 2014 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Apr 09, 2014 22:24

Just edit as much as you can. It will help other users.

superpws
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby superpws » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20

Ident wrote:Donations help us to be motivated to improve the docs as well ;) Other than that, it is in the hands of the community

I'm choosing later option for now unless I go commercial ;) (I think that's what most users do, they donate to open-source projects when they start making money with it)

nicco, I must have forgot to test that. Thanks for the edit. That's how wiki supposed to work :)

Return to “Help”