Colors in multiline textbox?

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Quintus

Colors in multiline textbox?

Postby Quintus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 18:49

Hi there,

I’m working on a game that embeds a scripting engine that allows users to script levels rather than only relying on a semi-static level editor. For users to edit the script code associated with a level, we currently employ a multiline textbox with its font property set to a monospace font we ship with the game, however, a bare text box is a bit hard for editing code. Therefore, I’d like to ask if CEGUI is capable of coloring multiline textboxes for the purpose of syntax highlighting, and if not, whether there are alternative windows one can use for this. I’m aware that the static text window can be colorized, but editing code obviously requires a window where the user can edit the text being displayed. I’m only interested in the coloring part of the game, I’ve already a decent idea of how I will tokenize the script code prior to coloring it.
Ideally, there was also a way to show line numbers.

To summarize the question: Is there a rich text multiline edit box in CEGUI?

Note I’m fairly new to CEGUI. I adapted the project in question, and it uses CEGUI for its UI, so I’m currently learning how to use it :)

Vale,
Quintus

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Colors in multiline textbox?

Postby Kulik » Thu Jun 19, 2014 08:51

No, there is no rich text area AFAIK.

We would be interested in adding such a widget, perhaps even with some SyntaxHighlighter interface that people can implement with their own syntaxes.

Return to “Help”