[Solved]Wrong Size and Positions with OpenGL3 Renderer Linux

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

SirTomsalot
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: Wrong Size and Positions with OpenGL3 Renderer on Linux

Postby SirTomsalot » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:48

Ident wrote:Do you use exactly 1:1 the same hardware on both of these setups?

I'm afraid not. This has NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 card and the another has some AMD Radeon 8000 series i think, I'll check when I get back to home.

Edit1: AMD Radeon HD 5800
Last edited by SirTomsalot on Mon Mar 23, 2015 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

dermont
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby dermont » Mon Mar 23, 2015 15:51

SirTomsalot wrote:This happened to me when I updated my linux from Ubuntu 11.04 to Mint 17.1 and updated my graphics drivers to nvidia-331.113.
I have another computer that has the "old" configurations with working build if thats any help :)

Out of interest what NVidia drivers are using proprietary or nouveau? I've had problems in the past with screwed up graphics with the nvidia proprietary drivers installed and the nouveau being loaded. Since people with different cards/make/drivers are having the same problem then it's probably not related. I've run the SampleFramework with NVidia proprietary drivers on Ubuntu 346.35/346.37 (and quite a few versions before) and Feodora 331.104/331.113 and both the GL/GL3 samples run fine.
lsmod | grep 'nvidia'
lsmod | grep 'nouveau'
lspci -k

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Mar 23, 2015 21:46

dermont's suggestion sounds likely to be helpful. Would be great to see if one of you can try this out and report back.

other than that as promised i started making diffs between the reportedly working 0.7.9 version and the not working v0-8 version. here is my results:
FBOTextureTarget:
0.8 does some extra stuff to switch back to old FBOs after activating itself, and also does some error prevention, all seems safe to me
GeometryBuffer is now derived from GeomBufferBase so some of the functionalityi s moved up in the hierarchy
A lot of files only differ in minor things (type changes for Size -> Sizef and more elaborate error messages) and similar hierarchy approaches due to the new GL3 Renderer. But the code still seems very similar.

I couldn't find anything that I could imagine could cause such (selective?) issues. There must be something though if the issue reporter is saying the truth and rendering in openGL in 0.7.9 works but 0.8.X does not. Puzzling.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Mar 23, 2015 22:13

I am trying to summarise where the problems occur, please correct me if I am wrong about something

Problems occured on:
Graphics card: Nvidia, Intel onboard, ATI
Drivers: nouveau, free radeon (mesa) driver, proprietary nvidia drivers

apparently there seems to be confusion about the drivers being loaded - maybe somebody could test if they do accidentally load the nouveau instead of the nvidia proprietary drivers when it does not work, and if it is really the proprietary driver that, too, causes issues, then we must know.
Apparently proprietary drivers work for some. So a pattern I could see here is that the free drivers all have a common issue..?
@SirTomsAlot it woul be interesting to know if the ATI or the Nvidia one is the system that is still working.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Mar 23, 2015 22:24

Someone from the nouveau irc channel responded to me and asked for an apitrace: https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace

SirTomsalot
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby SirTomsalot » Tue Mar 24, 2015 07:11

dermont wrote:Out of interest what NVidia drivers are using proprietary or nouveau? I've had problems in the past with screwed up graphics with the nvidia proprietary drivers installed and the nouveau being loaded. Since people with different cards/make/drivers are having the same problem then it's probably not related. I've run the SampleFramework with NVidia proprietary drivers on Ubuntu 346.35/346.37 (and quite a few versions before) and Feodora 331.104/331.113 and both the GL/GL3 samples run fine.
lsmod | grep 'nvidia'
lsmod | grep 'nouveau'
lspci -k

Output:
lsmod | grep 'nvidia'

Code: Select all

nvidia              10744943  85
drm                   303102  2 nvidia

lsmod | grep 'nouveau'
nothing

lspci -k

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8P67/P8H67 Series Motherboard
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
   Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8 series motherboard
   Kernel driver in use: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard
   Kernel driver in use: e1000e
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
   Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8469
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev b5)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
   Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation P67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
   Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
   Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 520] (rev a1)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83a0
   Kernel driver in use: nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83a0
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
03:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8B WS Motherboard
   Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
05:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362 SATA Controller (rev 10)
06:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8B WS Motherboard
   Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
07:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 01)
08:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Motherboard
   Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
09:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172 SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 11)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8477

@SirTomsAlot it woul be interesting to know if the ATI or the Nvidia one is the system that is still working.

The ATI one, I can give you specs, the project configurations and library versions when I get back to home (in about 8 hours).

Pointing out, I did build CEGUI from it's latest (stable branch),
as in hg clone https://bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui cegui-source && hg update -C v0-8

The working system has some older commit.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:17

The issue reporter tested 0.8.0 and it also didnt work, so that shouldnt matter.

I would like to know if the ATI also doesnt work on a fully updated OS with new drivers for somebody. Somebody wrote they use Radeon drivers but it wasnt detailed enough (OS, GPU, Driver version)

dermont
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby dermont » Fri Mar 27, 2015 14:06

Ident wrote:I am trying to summarise where the problems occur, please correct me if I am wrong about something

Problems occured on:
Graphics card: Nvidia, Intel onboard, ATI
Drivers: nouveau, free radeon (mesa) driver, proprietary nvidia drivers

apparently there seems to be confusion about the drivers being loaded - maybe somebody could test if they do accidentally load the nouveau instead of the nvidia proprietary drivers when it does not work, and if it is really the proprietary driver that, too, causes issues, then we must know.
Apparently proprietary drivers work for some. So a pattern I could see here is that the free drivers all have a common issue..?

@Ident I tried this out with the nouveau drivers/mesa on Ubuntu Live CD 13.10 (no other drivers installed), glfw2 builds but their demos don't run so it wasn't possible to test the SampleFramework. However the demo that atom provided ran fine.

@SirTomsAlot sorry ran out of suggestions. You don't have multiple monitors by any chance?

SirTomsalot
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby SirTomsalot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 13:02

dermont wrote:@SirTomsAlot sorry ran out of suggestions. You don't have multiple monitors by any chance?

I have, tried with single monitor. Same result.

Reverted nvidia drivers to 304.125 for shits and giggles, same result.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09

SirTomsalot
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: [Solved]Wrong Size and Positions with OpenGL3 Renderer L

Postby SirTomsalot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 09:10

Excellent work!

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: [Solved]Wrong Size and Positions with OpenGL3 Renderer L

Postby Ident » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:14

Thanks, but it was a real struggle because all initial attempts on finding the issue were so far off ;)

I hope we can release CEGUI 0.8.5 this month, it is quite urgent now.

Return to “Help”