unsuccessful build for cegui 0.8.4 on mepis - help

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

kordex
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: unsuccessful build for cegui 0.8.4 on mepis - help

Postby kordex » Sat Feb 21, 2015 21:24

Hey,

I can confirm that cegui works fine on Linux, ubuntu, debian, fedora. It must be your packagers problem.

I suggest you compile it by hand according to cegui documentation but here is it as short once you have the required libraries installed:
$ cd cegui
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ..

Also you can check here https://drone.io/bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui/145 it's a CI build on ubuntu.

We also have an IRC channel freenode/#cegui in case you want more help on the compiling

-kordex

dermont
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby dermont » Sat Feb 21, 2015 21:51

@mmikeinsantarosa
Sorry I can't see what the problem is from your dpkg-buildpackage, CEGUI appears to build and install OK. I'm not sure why there isn't a more descriptive error during dh_makeshlibs. The only thing I could see was you were not building the OpenGLRenderers since glm couldn't be found "Could NOT find GLM (missing: GLM_H_PATH)". This wouldn't explain your build errors.

mmikeinsantarosa
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 04:04

OK, I'm tryng to build it by hand by the link here. A couple things:

Code: Select all

add-apt-repository ppa:boost-latest/ppa
didn't work for me.
this works

hg clone -b v0-8 https://bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui /mandbx/src/bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui

I assumed I could build from the
/mandbx/src/bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui
position in the directory tree.
I perused the code window in the example and built a list of all the dependencies as far as I coould tell for cegui and those are:

libglm-dev libglew1.6-dev libglfw-dev libexpat1-dev libfreetype6-dev libsilly-dev libboost1.54-all-dev libxerces-c-dev libfreeimage-dev libdevil-dev libtinyxml-dev
I successfully installed all of these and no broken packages.
now from the directory poistion I mentioned earlier, I ran:

$ mkdir build
$ cd build

and executed the cmake command:

cmake -DCEGUI_BUILD_TESTS=Yes -DCEGUI_BUILD_PERFORMANCE_TESTS=Yes -DCEGUI_BUILD_DATAFILES_TEST=Yes -DCEGUI_BUILD

and got this error:

Parse error in command line argument: -DCEGUI_BUILD
Should be: VAR:type=value
CMake Error: No cmake script provided.
CMake Error: Problem processing arguments. Aborting.

I guess I'm not in the coreect folder for starters.
This buiild attempt was run as a regular user, not root.
Any suggestions?

thanks for absoluteley any response - mike

dermont
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Postby dermont » Mon Feb 23, 2015 05:24

Your just not pointing to the source dir e.g. (cmake ..)

Here's is an example:

cmake .. -DCEGUI_BUILD_PYTHON_MODULES:BOOL=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="RelWithDebInfo" -DCEGUI_INSTALL_WITH_RPATH:BOOL=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:FILEPATH=/media/sdb5/Libraries/CEGUI/MIKE/cegui-0.8.4/sdk

After you run the cmake command check it's finding the libs etc. you need, if not you may need to additional variables such as
-DOGRE_LIB:PATH=''whereever" -DOGRE_LIB:FILEPATH='whereever". If you don't have the cmake-gui installed you can open build/CMakeCache.txt in a text editor to see the various options. Whenever you rerun the cmake command with new build flags run "rm *CMakeCache*" from the build dir, the cache will be generated.

Then from your buld dir:

make -j 8 (or how many cores you have)
make install

A couple of points with the above which may be pertinent to what you are doing:

a) CEGUI builds default Release mode, update -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="RelWithDebInfo"/"Debug"
b) Newer CMake versions build "RelWithDebInfo" includes -NDEBUG which removes asserts.
c) -DCEGUI_INSTALL_WITH_RPATH:BOOL defult is OFF, this is required if you need to run the demos from your install dir but probably not needed for your pkg build. Changing the flag will only ivoke relinking the libraries, so you can test this quickly.
d) DCEGUI_BUILD_PYTHON_MODULES:BOOL=OFF, the python build module takes a long time to build. You can set this if required later.
e) The above will work with the source code you referred to in your earlier posts

mmikeinsantarosa
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:32

thanks dermont - that clears up much.
Will give 'er a spin tonight - mike

mmikeinsantarosa
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby mmikeinsantarosa » Tue Feb 24, 2015 16:43

first a couple things about my attempts to build cegui on a wheezy based debian dstro (other than ubuntu);
to build for debian, I usually need 3 files, a .dsc (Source control file) a debian.tar.gz (debian folder archive) and a orig.tar.gz (source tarball)
I put these 3 files in a folder and run dpkg-sourc e-x package_name_.dsc
This extracts what is in these 3 files and produces a debian build tree where after I make a couple edits in selected locations, I run debuild -sa and if successful end up with at least one .deb file I can use to install what I just built.

1-you guys discovered that the CEGUI.log file that shows up after I do a dpkg-source is not created as a result of anything I just did but was probably generated as a result of a make somebody else did. This file is looked for when I build but doesn't get updated during my build. If I delete or change it though the build won't continue.
2-I sent may last build file to our distros' expert packager/mad scientist and he found a symbols mismatch error.

dpkg-gensymbols: warning: some new symbols appeared in the symbols file: see diff output below
dpkg-gensymbols: warning: some symbols or patterns disappeared in the symbols file: see diff output below
dpkg-gensymbols: warning: debian/libcegui-0.8/DEBIAN/symbols doesn't match completely debian/libcegui-0.8.symbols.amd64
--- debian/libcegui-0.8.symbols.amd64 (libcegui-0.8_0.8.4-1mcr120+1_amd64)

Like the cegui.log file that ships with the 3 files (dsc, debian.tar *& orig.tar), there are 2 symbol files that also show up

libcegui-0.8.symbols.amd64 & libcegui-0.8.symbols.i386
in the

.../cegui-0.8/cegui-0.8-0.8.4/debian
folder.
he suggested I delete these files and try rebuilding.
I did and cegui now builds on this distro.

I will give the manual build another shot in the near future. Just thought I'd provide this info in case somebody else comes looking.

Mike

Return to “Help”