Bulding CEGUI from source with Irrlicht

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

LordJonas
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bulding CEGUI from source with Irrlicht

Postby LordJonas » Thu Jul 09, 2015 09:55

Hi there.

It may be a question already old, but since i'm starting to use CEGUI and Irrlicht i would like to know if anyone knows exactly how to build CEGUI with Irrlicht. I've tried already some configurations and cmake always give errors because could not find <strsafe.h> if i choose to build with D3D11...

It also complains about not finding Irrlicht and Boost but i know that both are installed on my desktop.

Any help ??

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: Bulding CEGUI from source with Irrlicht

Postby Ident » Thu Jul 09, 2015 23:10

Irrlicht with any 0.8.X version should work fine afaik. Did you use 0.8.4? The problem with Irrlicht is that for some reason there are very few Irrlicht+CEGUI users out there. In addition, I have not used Irrlicht ever. I know CE used to run the tests with it but he is inactive atm. However, he was still around at 0.8.0 Release and it should work since then.

Regarding the error message: which Irrlich version do you use? Can you post the FULL error messages/ output etc. and also declare which IDE, compiler and OS you use?

Regarding Cmake not finding boost and Irrlicht, again how would we know how to help you if we dont even know your OS? I can assume you use Windows - in this case you need to have the correct environment variables entered, otherwise config them in CMake GUI, check the Ogre building guide on the Wiki for in-depth explanation on hwo to set boost dependencies (if you really need em). You will need to set the Irrlicht paths there equally. http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/Building_CEGUI ... reRenderer
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

LordJonas
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby LordJonas » Fri Jul 10, 2015 01:41

Sorry for the lack of necessary info in my post.

I'm using:
* Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
* CodeBlocks 13.12
* MingW 4.8.1-4
* Irrlicht 1.8.1
* CEGUI 0.8.4
* Boost 1.58.0
* DirectX SDK June 2010
* Windows 8 SDK

I've solved the "Boost NOT FOUND" problem by setting the environment variable BOOST_ROOT=C:\Development\Boost.

However it seems that D11 Effects it'll not compile since i'm getting always the same error.... <strsafe.h> not found. And this is strange because i've DirectX SDK and Windows SDK installed.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Fri Jul 10, 2015 08:02

Seems like a mingw issue http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1097 ... se-instead
Where is the file included?

LordJonas
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby LordJonas » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:34

The file <strsafe.h> belongs to Windows SDK.

I'm doing a pdf with all the instructions to the people who want to do the same. It's quite a experience building the CEGUI with it's dependencies and renders... :hammer:

But in the end of the process you begin to understand much more the process and be capable of doing the same with your own projects...

:pint:

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:47

Sure, it is always a learning experience. I still believe this issue is only mingw related however. If you find a solution please post it here for the future readers.

Return to “Help”