Errors building CEGUI makefiles

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Benniczek
Just popping in
Just popping in

Errors building CEGUI makefiles

Postby Benniczek » Sun Sep 04, 2016 20:54

Hello all you people!

Being new to CEGUI I today downloaded the latest sourcecode as well as the dependencies. I created a makefile using CMake and following the documentation for version 0.8.7. I wanted to build all the dependencies first and when that failed I just went for the CEGUI source code where I tried to build all the features that were checked by default in the CMake GUI. Executing the makefiles in the command line first seemed to work just fine but failed after a few percent in both cases due to syntax errors.

I put screenshots of the errors into a pdf: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i0ymensbs417gq/cegui_build_errors.pdf?dl=0

My compiler is MinGW GCC version 4.8.1. Feel free to ask for any other information you need. I'm grateful for any bit of suggestion that may help me solve this issue :)

Greetings,
Benniczek

P.S.: I'm only a halfway decent amateur at programming and stuff... so expect me to ask questions in cases of overly sophisticated jargon ;)

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Re: Errors building CEGUI makefiles

Postby YaronCT » Sun Sep 04, 2016 21:40

@Benniczek: You use the old, unmaintained MinGW, which there's no reason to use. Only its fork, MinGW-w64, is supported. You can get it here.

Note that despite its name, MinGW-w64 supports both x86 and x64.

Choose this conf:

Architecture - "i686" if u want to target x86, "x86_64" if u want to target x64.
Threads - "Posix"
Exception - "sjlj" if u target x86, "seh" if u target x64.

As for "Version" - use the latest 6.x, 5.x or 4.9.x, depending on your preference of newer vs. more stable. If u don't know what to choose - choose the latest 4.9.x.

Benniczek
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Benniczek » Mon Sep 05, 2016 13:08

@YaronCT:
Thanks for your answer, I installed MinGW-w64 on my computer (version 4.9.3). Building CEGUI itself works now but when it comes to the dependencies, the exact same error concerning liblibpng.dll still occurs: The compiler doesn't recognise pngwin.def, treats it as a linker script and produces a syntax error... Got any more ideas?

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 15:00

@Benniczek: Which cmake version and which target architecture (x86 or x64)?

Benniczek
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Benniczek » Mon Sep 05, 2016 15:27

CMake 3.3.2 and x86 architecture

EDIT: Building the dependencies works when I uncheck SILLY in the build options (guess the liblibpng.dll belongs to this library). The openGL render features of CEGUI will be enough for me at least for now, I guess. Still, would be interesting to know what goes wrong with SILLY.

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:52

@Benniczek: It builds for me using your conf. Plz re-download the cegui deps from here (branch "v0-8") and rebuild everything (including remove build dir and re-run cmake).

Also plz write the cmake options u use (if any).

Benniczek
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Benniczek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 14:36

Thank you very much, it finally works with your deps (something wrong with the ones I downloaded via sourceforge?).
There were quite a lot of warnings from the compiler (concerning visibility, mostly) but no errors.

P.S.: I used no special CMake options and build those dependencies that are checked by default, i.e. the Expat parser, Silly and all those modules needed for OpenGL and Direct3D

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 16:30

@Benniczek: Arg.. For some reason only god perhaps knows we link to a version of the cegui deps from 2013. Gotta fix it asap.. Thanx for helping us catching this!

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 16:36

@Ident: We must replace the download link of the cegui-deps here to the right one, and preferably do it in all cegui 0.8.x docs. The very confusing "0.8.x" tag must b removed. I can't believe we've caught this only now..

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Tue Sep 06, 2016 17:01

YaronCT wrote:@Ident: We must replace the download link of the cegui-deps here to the right one, and preferably do it in all cegui 0.8.x docs. The very confusing "0.8.x" tag must b removed. I can't believe we've caught this only now..

Sure, feel free to fix it
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 18:57

@Ident: Oh, it's not I try to put this on u lol I just don't have access to the cegui server to change the links..

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Tue Sep 06, 2016 19:02

The documentation is generated from the doxygen folder in the v0-8 repository branch. The fix needs to go in there and next time we release CEGUi we upload the 0.8.8 documentation and it will have the links fixed.

YaronCT
CEGUI Team

Postby YaronCT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 19:03

@Ident: I know, but I'm afraid that's not good enough. I think we must update all existing links asap.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Tue Sep 06, 2016 19:58

I dont see how it makes sense to do that. The version is released and it makes no sense to edit online docs while the offline docs (user generated) are still the old ones.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Tue Sep 06, 2016 19:58

At best we could update the deps package itself on sourceforge..?

Return to “Help”