Adding an extra image to a FrameWindow looknfeel

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Adding an extra image to a FrameWindow looknfeel

Postby Anasky » Wed Oct 11, 2017 09:53

Heya,

I've recently been adding images to my game, and that all works fine and look splendid :)
Currently trying to modify the FrameWindow, and although that works so far, I can't seem to figure out how to add an extra image to it (there's a title box in the GUI that I would like to be present but not to scale along).

This is what I've got so far, and it's all working except for the new image:

Code: Select all

<ImagerySection name="main">
      <FrameComponent>
        <Area>
          <Dim type="LeftEdge">
            <AbsoluteDim value="0" />
          </Dim>
          <Dim type="TopEdge">
            <AbsoluteDim value="0" />
          </Dim>
          <Dim type="RightEdge">
            <UnifiedDim scale="1" type="RightEdge" />
          </Dim>
          <Dim type="BottomEdge">
            <UnifiedDim scale="1" type="BottomEdge" />
          </Dim>
        </Area>
        <Image component="LeftEdge" name="Brawler/Window_TopLeft" />
        <Image component="RightEdge" name="Brawler/Window_TopRight" />
        <Image component="NewImage" name="Brawler/Window_NewImage" />
        <Image component="Background" name="Brawler/Window_Top" />
      </FrameComponent>
    </ImagerySection>

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: Adding an extra image to a FrameWindow looknfeel

Postby Ident » Wed Oct 11, 2017 19:02

What are you trying to do exactly? What does the titlebox (you mean titlebar) have to do with the image?
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Thu Oct 12, 2017 06:53

In the link supplied below you can see a title box being on the top part of the window. This box shouldn't scale along and as such shouldn't be part of the Window_Top (if I'm assuming correctly). Hence I am wondering how I can add it using a fixed width while placing it in the centre at the position of the title.
http://www.gameart2d.com/uploads/3/0/9/ ... 3_orig.jpg

Hope this clears it up.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Fri Oct 13, 2017 22:26

You can always just use a child window (of the FrameWindow) in case you are trying to do some complex child/parent window behaviour as seems to be the case here. You can scale and position this with relative or absolute coordinates (or a combination of both) using the CEED layout editor.

If you can solve something with a sub-window and there is no specific behaviour from the FrameWindow happening here that should affect it, then that is usually preferrable over solving it via complex LNF setups. It is just easier to control and have an overlook over. And the editor support is there too, of course.

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 09:26

I guess it's time for me to start using the CEED layout editor then rather than using Notepad++?
Any clue where I can find that editor?

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sat Oct 14, 2017 09:36

Anasky wrote:I guess it's time for me to start using the CEED layout editor then rather than using Notepad++?
Any clue where I can find that editor?

Have you never visited our website? :pint:

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:01

Actually, I don't think I have. My colleague started the implementation and download and what not, and I've just been going on from there on. Assuming I can find it on the website ;) (sorry, still hungover xD)

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 06:55

My apologies for such a late reply, went on to fix some other issues before coming back to this.
I've managed to add the titlebox to the CEGUI::Window using the addChild function, but can't get it in the right position.

In attachment 2 it's fully visible but on the wrong Y, and in attachment 1 it's cut off because of the border of the frame. Any way I can fix this?

Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
CutOff.png
WrongY.png

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Oct 18, 2017 07:40

If it is a regular child (you did not add this with the internal name for the titlebox did you) it can't get cut off by the frame. It can only be cut off by the windows extents. You can deactive clipping to prevent that. This should not ben ecessary though and imo it would be wrong to solve it that way since it clearly looks like the titlebar is in the framewindow's boundaries. Can you show us some code?

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 09:00

I'll post my code below, but it's... rather integrated into my own framework...
I added it using window->addChild();
However, it's on position y=0 when it's inside the frame, hence why I figured CEGUI automatically took it outside of the border's area.

m_Inventory = NewWindow( "Inventory", glm::vec2( 400, 300 ), glm::vec2( 450, 180 ), m_InGame );

void clsWindow::Init( std::string a_Name, glm::vec2 a_ScreenPos, glm::vec2 a_Size, clsWidget* a_Parent, clsGUI* a_GUI, std::string a_Theme )
      {
         clsWidget::Init( a_Name, "FrameWindow", a_ScreenPos, a_Size, a_Size, a_Parent, a_GUI, a_Theme );
         clsWidget* l_StaticImage = a_GUI->NewStaticImage( a_Name + "_TitleBox", "Window_TitleBox", glm::vec2( ( a_Size.x - 158 ) / 2, 0 ), glm::vec2( 158, 29 ), this );
      }

void clsWidget::Init( std::string a_Name, std::string a_LookNFeel, glm::vec2 a_ScreenPos, glm::vec2 a_MinSize, glm::vec2 a_Size, clsWidget* a_Parent, clsGUI* a_GUI, std::string a_Theme )
      {
         m_Name = a_Name;
         m_GUI = a_GUI;

CEGUI::Window* l_NewWindow = m_GUI->GetWindowManager( )->createWindow( a_Theme + "/" + a_LookNFeel, a_Name );

glm::vec2 l_ScaledParentSize;
         if (a_Parent != nullptr)
         {
            a_Parent->GetCEGUIWindow( )->addChild( l_NewWindow );
            a_Parent->AddChild( this );
            l_ScaledParentSize = a_Parent->GetSize( );
         }
         else
         {
            l_ScaledParentSize = glm::vec2( a_GUI->GetDefaultScreenWidth( ), a_GUI->GetDefaultScreenHeight( ) );
         }

// Temp
         a_MinSize = glm::vec2( );

l_NewWindow->setMinSize( CEGUI::USize( CEGUI::UDim( a_MinSize.x / l_ScaledParentSize.x, 0 ), CEGUI::UDim( a_MinSize.y / l_ScaledParentSize.y, 0 ) ) );
         l_NewWindow->setSize( CEGUI::USize( CEGUI::UDim( a_Size.x / l_ScaledParentSize.x, 0 ), CEGUI::UDim( a_Size.y / l_ScaledParentSize.y, 0 ) ) );
         l_NewWindow->setMaxSize( CEGUI::USize( CEGUI::UDim( a_Size.x / l_ScaledParentSize.x, 0 ), CEGUI::UDim( a_Size.y / l_ScaledParentSize.y, 0 ) ) );
         l_NewWindow->setPosition( CEGUI::UVector2( CEGUI::UDim( a_ScreenPos.x / l_ScaledParentSize.x, 0 ), CEGUI::UDim( a_ScreenPos.y / l_ScaledParentSize.y, 0 ) ) );

m_Window = l_NewWindow;
      }

clsStaticImage* clsGUI::NewStaticImage( std::string a_Name, std::string a_Filename, glm::vec2 a_ScreenPos, glm::vec2 a_Size, clsWidget* a_Parent )
      {
         clsStaticImage* l_StaticImage = new clsStaticImage( );
         NewWidget( l_StaticImage, a_Name, &a_ScreenPos, a_Parent );
         l_StaticImage->Init( a_Name, a_Filename, a_ScreenPos, a_Size, a_Parent, this, m_Theme );
         m_GUIElements[ a_Name ] = l_StaticImage->GetCEGUIWindow( );
         return l_StaticImage;
      }

clsWidget* clsGUI::NewWidget( clsWidget* a_Widget, std::string a_Name, glm::vec2* a_ScreenPos, clsWidget* a_Parent )
      {
         //assert( std::find( m_WidgetsMap.begin( ), m_WidgetsMap.end( ), a_Name ) == m_WidgetsMap.end( ) );
         clsWidget* l_Widget = a_Widget;
         m_Widgets.push_back( l_Widget );
         m_WidgetsMap[ a_Name ] = l_Widget;

return l_Widget;
      }

void clsStaticImage::Init( std::string a_Name, std::string a_Filename, glm::vec2 a_ScreenPos, glm::vec2 a_Size, clsWidget* a_Parent, clsGUI* a_GUI, std::string a_Theme )
      {
         clsWidget::Init( a_Name, "Image", a_ScreenPos, glm::vec2( ), a_Size, a_Parent, a_GUI, "Generic" );
         m_Window->setProperty( "Image", a_Theme + "/" + a_Filename );
      }

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Wed Oct 18, 2017 22:36

Unfortunately I can't look into it deeply right now, I would suggest you try what I said before and deactivate the parentclipping on that child window you are adding. Does it remove the clipping?

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46

A combination of:
setProperty( "ClippedByParent", "false" );
setProperty( "AlwaysOnTop", "true" );

works, although that does defeat the purpose of the frame as it is now also displaying above the text :(
Is there really not a better way to do this by changing the renderer of the FrameWindow?

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Fri Oct 20, 2017 20:42

If you want Text on an Image on a FrameWindow I would make 3 Windows
A Generic/Text as child of a Generic/Image as child of a FrameWindow.

Either that or you really dig into falagard like you suggested initially. You might have to do some trial and error there though to understand how it works and maybe also look into code from time to time.

Anasky
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Anasky » Mon Oct 23, 2017 09:23

The possibility you suggest would indeed be better. The issue with it though is the AlwaysOnTop=true property. This would mean it wouldn't work as expected when having 2 windows one over the other.

Modifying Falagard does sound like a tougher solution than I initially thought though... I'm assuming you don't have experience in this? (And if you do, got any starting point for me?)

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Mon Oct 23, 2017 09:34

Anasky wrote:Modifying Falagard does sound like a tougher solution than I initially thought though... I'm assuming you don't have experience in this? (And if you do, got any starting point for me?)

I do have experience in this and the reason I initially advised against it is that it is not very intuitive to work with it and it gets more complicated once you add so called child "auto" windows in falagard, in which case it is often better to add actual real windows, especially if it is just about looks and not functionality related to the parent widget. I wrote a base for a Look N Feel editor for CEED to make it easier to create and edit skins but in its current form it will not help you much either yet, it is also not tested enough.

Can you explain what you mean by "The issue with it though is the AlwaysOnTop=true property. "
Who has this property and why cant you turn it to false ?

Return to “Help”