C/C++ Newbie trying to get CEGUI/MINGW64/WIN7 to work

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Jetray
Just popping in
Just popping in

C/C++ Newbie trying to get CEGUI/MINGW64/WIN7 to work

Postby Jetray » Wed Oct 25, 2017 05:34

Followed instructions (sort of) on this page: http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/How_to_install ... With_MinGW
up to "you can see the Makefile at the target binary directory you choose. Build it."
At this point dependencies folder and sub folders bin, include, lib were still empty. And didn't know how to build it.

So I typed make -f Makefile in MinGW, it gave me some message which I didn't understand because I didn't really know how to use make. And the make process didn't seem to have exited. At this point the dependencies folders were still empty.

Looked around for MinGW related topics, but either not the same setup or the subjects talked about were too advanced.
All help appreciated. BTW, English is not my first language, apologies if anything sounds weird.
Last edited by Jetray on Fri Oct 27, 2017 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: C/C++ Newbie trying to get CEGUI/MINGW64/WIN7 to work

Postby Ident » Wed Oct 25, 2017 19:15

What do you mean by "sort of" following the instructions? :D
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

manhnt
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby manhnt » Thu Oct 26, 2017 01:56

Jetray wrote:Followed instructions (sort of) on this page: http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/How_to_install ... With_MinGW
up to "you can see the Makefile at the target binary directory you choose. Build it."
At this point dependencies folder and sub folders bin, include, lib were still empty. And didn't know how to build it.

So I typed make -f Makefile in MinGW, it gave me some message which I didn't understand because I didn't really know how to use make. And the make process didn't seem to have exited. At this point the dependencies folders were still empty.

Looked around for MinGW related topics, but either not the same setup or the subjects talked about were too advanced.
All help appreciated. BTW, English is not my first language, apologies if anything sounds weird.

I recommend you to use msys2 instead of mingw because it's more updated and have good support.
I can compile CEGUI easily with msys2 and didn't need to follow the wiki link.
You can install all of CEGUI's compiled dependencies with msys2.

Jetray
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Jetray » Fri Oct 27, 2017 05:58

Ident wrote:What do you mean by "sort of" following the instructions? :D

By that I mean all of the lines it told me to fix were already fixed when I looked in those files.
And the CMake option CEGUI_GNUtoMS is not seen but found CMAKE_GNUtoMS instead.
So I assumed they were the same thing and unchecked that option before I pressed generate in CMake.

Jetray
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Jetray » Fri Oct 27, 2017 06:19

manhnt wrote:I recommend you to use msys2 instead of mingw because it's more updated and have good support.
I can compile CEGUI easily with msys2 and didn't need to follow the wiki link.
You can install all of CEGUI's compiled dependencies with msys2.

Because I am new to C/C++ I don't quite know how to get msys2 to work.
In fact, I am currently running the mingw64.exe from inside the msys2 folder because the g++ function is not recognized when I run in msys2.exe but works in mingw64.exe :?
Hence, I have always run only mingw64.exe and get things to work by copying .exe .dll .h .a files into the bin, include, lib folders under mingw64 folder.

It's a little off topic but would be great help if you can teach me how to properly work with msys2 and properly install CEGUI. :D

manhnt
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby manhnt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 03:06

You need to open mingw64 or mingw32 shell instead of msys2 shell to access tools like g++.
But first, you'll have to install them in any shells, you can search using command pacman -Ss.
For example: pacman -Ss gcc.
Packages are named with different prefixes so be aware of what you are installing.
(Only install mingw64 packages if you want to use in mingw64 shell)
So, basically you search and install CEGUI dependencies for msys2, then you compile CEGUI using cmake and mingw64 shell.
You don't need any dependencies from CEGUI's website, only grab the CEGUI source and extract it.
Install expat, freeimage, ... all the dependencies you want.
(pacman -Ss package_name to search, pacman -S package_name to install)
Then cd cegui, mkdir build, cd build, cmake .. and make.

Return to “Help”