OpengGl render problem

For help with anything that CEGUI doesn't offer straight out-of-the-box, e.g.:
- Implementation of new features, such as new Core classes, widgets, WindowRenderers, etc. ...
- Modification of any existing features for specific purposes
- Integration of CEGUI in new engines or frameworks and writing of new plugins (Renderer, Parser, ...) or modules

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

masch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

OpengGl render problem

Postby masch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 03:52

Hello:
I'm using CEGUI from a while ago and everythings rocks!..
Now I have an Elografics machine with a ProSavage DDR video card and I have some problem with the render opengl. Every sample i tried it I get black screen with no errors, I checked the log. I have DRI, DBE and opengl installed and working fine. I run some others opengl sample and some times I get the same error and in others everything run fine. I tried with the latest version of CEGUI from the svn and I see the screen but I get 3 fps max. Can you give me some tips to find the problem?
I'm using archlinux and I test it with glxgears and the render was Mesa DRI with 4 apgx.

Could be drivers problems?, I'm using savage driver.

Thank you..
masch...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 09:33

Hi,

Is it 0.6.2 that gives you the black screen? Just trying to establish which versions do what - especially since the svn code is so radically different :)

It could be a driver issue, the mention of Mesa seems to indicate that perhaps you're running the Mesa software renderer?

What kind of output do you get from glxinfo? Pay particular attention to the various vendor strings and the "direct rendering" line, where a no would normally indicate an unaccelerated GL implementation of some kind.

CE.

masch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby masch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 17:18

I'm using 0.6.2 version. The machine it's at my work, so I do not remember the gl_renderer but it's say something like: MESA DRI ProSavage MMX and I have direct rendering Yes, tomorrow I will get the exactly renderer string, Should it work opengl with this specification ?

Thank you..
masch...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:28

Hi,

Yes it should work in theory; especially in 0.6.2 code the renderer is using only the very basic functions. While the speed issues experienced definitely sound like an issue with hardware acceleration, the 'black screen' in the samples for 0.6.2 should never really be seen.

While I do not have access to a machine with that particular video card, I will run a test later under Mesa just to be sure we've not introduced an issue somewhere.

CE.

masch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby masch » Mon Mar 30, 2009 13:32

Hello:
My output of glxgears it's:

GL_RENDERER = Mesa DRI Twister 20061110 AGP 4x x86/MMX/SSE
GL_VERSION = 1.2 Mesa 7.2
GL_VENDOR = S3 Grapics Inc

I have the AGPSize: 128MB.

I have another 2 machine using Mesa DRI with openchrome and Intel driver and work fine.
Can I do use another of mesa render?

Salu2..

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 08:43

masch wrote:My output of glxgears it's:

Can you post the output of glxinfo instead, I want to see what extensions are reported. There was a bug in 0.6.2 related to detection of GL extensions, basically you will only see the issue if ARB_multitexture is not reported and the GL version is lower than 1.3; I think this is the likely culprit. (The issue is fixed in both svn trunk and branches/v0-6).

masch wrote:I have another 2 machine using Mesa DRI with openchrome and Intel driver and work fine.

This tells me the issue is definitely somehow related to the driver / video card in use. As such, I think you're seeing the issue from above.

CE.

masch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby masch » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:38

Hello:
I thing I have a view port problem or something like that, because when I run CEGUI without a desktop I saw a black screen, but when I run the same application in fluxbox the application run fine.

Do you know what do I need to setup in my X server?

Thank you
Salu2...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 18:27

masch wrote:Do you know what do I need to setup in my X server?

Not really, no (I'm no expert on such matters!). I would have thought that so long as X was up and running, the fact that you have a window manager running on top of it (or not) should make no difference; unless it's some oddity related to glut that needs this (I really don't know, though).

CE.

masch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby masch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52

Hello:
I'm me again, I was talking with some guy in the xorg-devel IRC channel and he give me the answer to my question. The problem seems to be a bug between Savage and Mesa3d, I need to make an explicitly call to glViewport after create the window.

Thank you so much for your help!...

Salu2...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 08:21

And thank you for reporting back :)

Return to “Modifications / Integrations / Customisations”