[slvd]unicode character problem:desperate lag on render text

For help with anything that CEGUI doesn't offer straight out-of-the-box, e.g.:
- Implementation of new features, such as new Core classes, widgets, WindowRenderers, etc. ...
- Modification of any existing features for specific purposes
- Integration of CEGUI in new engines or frameworks and writing of new plugins (Renderer, Parser, ...) or modules

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Cloudage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

[slvd]unicode character problem:desperate lag on render text

Postby Cloudage » Tue Nov 10, 2009 09:29

this post is the followup of this topic.

today i finally to deside try the workaround,i set a very long string which is the most used characters list contains 2500 characters to a multiline editbox,to try to avoid the serious lag which nearly one second per character when displaying user inputed text like chat messages.
and soon i was defeated by this:

sorry for the chinese characters you may not read,it means "a unhandled exception at 0x62cbbcf8 in VWD.exe:0xc000005:access collision when reading 0x00b51000".this is happen at the setText(),finally i think this workaround will not work for me.

and even it works,i have to pre render 2500 characters and every one take one second before my application can really start...i really think this is will destory my user`s patient.

one thing makes me a little hope is,i still use 0.6.2,so all i want to know is:about the issue of unicode character display lagging,is it be considered as a important problem?is is already sloved in 0.7,or will be sloved soon?

thanks!

Cloudage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: unicode character problem again:desperate lag on render text

Postby Cloudage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 09:06

forgive my patientless.i sloved my problem by using pregenerated bitmap font,with this powerful tool.
now my gui works in high efficiency when i typing characters.

lcy03406
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: [slvd]unicode character problem:desperate lag on render text

Postby lcy03406 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 09:35

I'm Chinese. how large is the generated bitmap font? I think we need a lot of fonts for every style and every size, each has ten's of thousands characters. If these are all pregenerated instead of rendered to texture only when used, fonts may cost more memory. How much is it in your project?

Cloudage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: [slvd]unicode character problem:desperate lag on render text

Postby Cloudage » Tue Nov 17, 2009 06:26

sorry for the late reply and the '[slvd]' missing...

for MSYH,there are about 23000 glyphes.i generated all of them with code point 8,the image is just 2287 KB.code point 10 is 2946 KB,code point 12 is 3849 KB,and code point 16 is 5829 KB.all the .imageset files of each code points are 2315 KB,and .font files are 1759 KB.
and load the scheme with one font of above takes me 28 seconds,with two takes me 30 seconds.

hope these infomation will be help.

Return to “Modifications / Integrations / Customisations”