get window height for wrapped text component

For help with anything that CEGUI doesn't offer straight out-of-the-box, e.g.:
- Implementation of new features, such as new Core classes, widgets, WindowRenderers, etc. ...
- Modification of any existing features for specific purposes
- Integration of CEGUI in new engines or frameworks and writing of new plugins (Renderer, Parser, ...) or modules

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

lali
Just popping in
Just popping in

get window height for wrapped text component

Postby lali » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:08

Hi,

I need to get one of the following for a wrapped text component after calling setText(str);
- window height
- number of lines
- the text after it has been wrapped (visual)

using windowslook - the type of window is "WindowsLook/StaticText"
I have tried calling win->getTextVisual() but returns the unformatted (non-wrapped) text.

It seems like the formatting is only done at the render stage - is this true ? if so, can I force rendering ?

Thanks.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: get window height for wrapped text component

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30

Hi,

getTextVisual is not related to formatting - it's related to bidirectional text support, so is somewhat unlikely to be what you wanted anyway ;)

The window height will always be whatever you set it to; the window height does not change due to formatting, so probably no point in getting that. If you're actually after getting the dimensions of the formatted output, you can use the "HorzExtent" and "VertExtent" properties.

However, you are correct that formatting is only done as-needed when the widget is rendered (this is an optimisation, formatting each and every time the text changes would be unacceptably slow for some scenarios). To force the rendering / formatting to occur, you can call the Window::render function for the StaticText.

HTH

CE.

zuur
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby zuur » Fri May 06, 2011 02:57

Hey CE,

Thanks for the great response to this query - a straight-forward solution along with some worth while justification and background info; what more could the community ask for :wink:

I'm still having problems with this however - possibly because I'm still using 0.6.2?

I'm wanting to display a form in a window: basically just headings with a paragraph of text below each. My problem is that I only know what the text is at run-time, so I'm guessing I have to figure out how high each "paragraph" window is at run-time and move all the headings/paragraphs below it down to a suitable Y position, (please let me know if there's some much simpler way to achieve this).

I've made a function:

Code: Select all

int getRequiredHeightForText(CEGUI::Window* win)
{
   win->render();
   const CEGUI::String str = win->getProperty("VertExtent");
   int requiredHeight = CEGUI::PropertyHelper::stringToInt(str);
   return requiredHeight;
}

...which I assume is on the right track?

I'm passing in StaticText windows with Horz/Vert Formatting set to Top/Left. I set the text on this window and than pass it into this function to see how high to make it. The problem is that my window doesn't appear to have any "VertExtent" property (or similar).

Thoughts?

zuur
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby zuur » Wed May 11, 2011 00:47

<bump?>

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed May 11, 2011 12:58

DO NOT BUMP THREADS THAT ARE STILL ON THE FIRST PAGE

Because you have done this, my reply will not contain the solution.

CE.

zuur
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby zuur » Thu May 12, 2011 01:16

Oh no!

Sorry CE; and I mean that in the sincerest way possible.

I didn't realize this post was still on the first page - I've just been logging into the forum and clicking the "View your posts" link every day to see if there had been a response. I know you're really good at answering and thought that because I had appended my post to the end of someone else's already-solved post, and it had been five days that it had been overlooked :(

I can quite understand your frustration and I'll make sure this doesn't ever happen in future.

Please do come back to this post when you're ready, as I've been completely unable to figure this one out myself and can't find any other information (apart from this thread) pertaining to the same problem.

Sincerely,
-Aaron.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56

I think this is possible with the RenderedString classes in 0.7 and (I am not sure) the Font class in 0.6.

Also, please consider helping others as well and not just leeching the forum. Thanks :)

zuur
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby zuur » Mon May 16, 2011 03:31

Thanks Kulik,

I'm just getting back to this now - we have a big deadline we've been working towards on Friday and I was going to take the "put a sticking plaster over it and pretend the functionality doesn't exist" approach.. I'd love to get it working and am just having a look into your suggestion now.

Kulik wrote:I think this is possible with the RenderedString classes in 0.7 and (I am not sure) the Font class in 0.6.

I'm assuming the steps would be something like:
    * get font from font manager
    * send font appropriate text and max width
    * ask what min height required is

First problem I've run into is that I'm running 0.6 and in my documentation directory I have a text file telling me the documentation can be found on http://www.cegui.org.uk/... but I can't see any way to get old documentation from the web site... any ideas?

Kulik wrote:Also, please consider helping others as well and not just leeching the forum. Thanks :)

I understand where you're coming from - we've all been flat-out with getting this release together for the last month and I really just needed some help with this one desperately (haven't been finding time for sleeping let alone anything else) - I'll be sure to check my posts (and others) via the regular interface in future.

zuur
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby zuur » Mon May 16, 2011 06:22

Ok, I think I have an answer (for anyone else looking to do the same thing) - please comment on any obvious pitfalls...

NB: This is for v0.6.2!

EDIT: Don't use this code - use the code in CE's link below...

Code: Select all

int getRequiredHeightForWrappedText(CEGUI::Window* win)
{
   //Returns the height (in pixels) required for the text in this window given the window's
   // current width, current font, and current text, and given the assumption it's
   // supposed to wrap.

CEGUI::Font* fontInUse = win->getFont();
   CEGUI::Rect rect = win->getInnerRect();
   CEGUI::String text = win->getText();
   //std::string textICanReadInMyDebugger = text.c_str();
   CEGUI::TextFormatting formatting = CEGUI::WordWrapLeftAligned; //not sure how to read this out of win?
   int lineCount = fontInUse->getFormattedLineCount(text, rect, formatting);
   int lineHeight = fontInUse->getLineSpacing();
   return lineCount * lineHeight;
}
Last edited by zuur on Mon May 16, 2011 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon May 16, 2011 07:21

Because the inner rects are mostly broken in 0.6.x, your code may not always behave correctly. The following post gives the correct code for this, and the thread it contains is an otherwise interesting discussion regarding performing this calculation: viewtopic.php?p=19987#p19987

Btw, the HorzExtent and VertExtent properties were added to StaticText for one of the 0.7.x releases.

CE

zuur
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby zuur » Mon May 16, 2011 23:12

Thanks CE,
...and to think it was there on the forum the whole time :?

Just out of curiosity, is the 0.6 documentation still available somewhere?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun May 22, 2011 08:27

zuur wrote:Just out of curiosity, is the 0.6 documentation still available somewhere?

You can download docs for the previous versions from sourceforge.net: https://sourceforge.net/projects/crayze ... k-2/0.6.2/

HTH

CE

Return to “Modifications / Integrations / Customisations”