loadWindowLayout weird crash on ~RenderingSurface()

For help with anything that CEGUI doesn't offer straight out-of-the-box, e.g.:
- Implementation of new features, such as new Core classes, widgets, WindowRenderers, etc. ...
- Modification of any existing features for specific purposes
- Integration of CEGUI in new engines or frameworks and writing of new plugins (Renderer, Parser, ...) or modules

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

strangedays
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: loadWindowLayout weird crash on ~RenderingSurface()

Postby strangedays » Tue Aug 03, 2010 09:49

MSDN article then...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh%28VS.80%29.aspx

and as you can see in this article...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/585f3df2-17a2-46a8-aead-913d3919943e

... and in other articles you can find online, different visual studio .net environments install DIFFERENT c++ runtime libraries.

.NET Environment includes C++ runtime indeed.NET installs msvcrt.lib and its related msvcrt90d.dll if using Visual Studio environment 2008 or msvcrt80d.dll if using visual studio environment 2005 (MT Debug DLL ).

I've tried to use CEGUI, using binaries you provided, on VS2008 and IT WORKS; I've tried to re-compile CEGUI on VS2005 using .NET runtimes 2.0 Sp2... and it NEVER works. I've tried to re-compile it on Visual Studio 2005 using .NET runtimes SP1 and IT WORKS.

However I am only allowed to build my project using SP2 version of the runtimes.

Have you tried to compile it? I'd love to use CEGUI on my project, which is supposed to be a BIG one, and I'd love to give GREAT visibility on CEGUI framework, but if I cannot proof its stability to my collegues and its support, I fear I will not be allowed to use it.

Would you help me please?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 19:42

As stated in the reply to the second web page you linked, the specific version that accompanied the SP2 for the .Net framework is "binary compatible with the previous VS2005 CRT versions (e.g. RTM or SP1 or other intermediate versions)." Which means it's supposed to be a drop in replacement which should not cause issues (don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just repeating what the MS dev in the forum you linked to said - whether I personally agree with him is a different matter ;)). However, I know for sure that the subsequent ATL security update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973544/), which pushes the runtime to version 8.0.50727.4053 is not binary compatible with previous versions and can cause conflicts. Do you have this update installed? Because I do have this, so if you don't maybe that could be a source of these issues?

I've looked at my installation of 2005, and I do have the .Net framework SP2 installed (as one would expect) as well as the above mentioned ATL security fix. I tried the compile, and everything was/is fine and ran ok. What I can't understand is if it's a runtime version conflict, you should be seeing one of those "the application failed to start" message boxes that the SxS system throws up - unless you disabled / modified the manifests or something.

If the above does not help, I'm honestly at a loss as to what I'm expected to do here! All I can do is compile and test, unfortunately even I can't fix issues that I can't reproduce :?

CE

strangedays
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby strangedays » Thu Aug 05, 2010 09:19

Well problem was exactly the one ""the application failed to start" message boxes that the SxS system throws up", GetLastError reports a runtime compatibility mismatch. I've checked my microsoft updates, and looks like I don't have that update installed.

By now I am trying to convince my team to change requirements and adopt VS2008. However I will try to focus on this problem later ( I've spent just too much time on it ).

I have just one request: would you release dependencies source code and solutions for VS2005 since I had to manually download and compile myself? Maybe there are some compatibility issues.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 09:34

strangedays wrote:I have just one request: would you release dependencies source code and solutions for VS2005 since I had to manually download and compile myself? Maybe there are some compatibility issues.

I don't have the manpower to support doing this. If someone else wants to take up that job, they should contact me ;)

CE.

strangedays
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby strangedays » Fri Aug 06, 2010 09:42

Just asking a .zip package with dependencies source code. I was offering myself for testing, but I need ALL your exact dependencies... I don't think it needs much "manpower".

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 13:32

Yeah, I understand, but the thing is I don't have them. If I do have them, it's the versions I used when I made the r3 package for VC++ 2010, and not the versions I used for the previous r2 packages. When I make a new set of dependency packages I just download the latest versions of the source code for the deps and build them (usually using the scripts I have in svn @ admin/cegui_mk2/dependencies), and this generally means that once the build is done, the source packages are then deleted. Except if it happens to be mentioned somewhere, I do not even bother to take notice of which versions I have used!

Basically, I develop on linux. At any given time, any of the dependency libs can change version from under me, this means that generally, the specific version of the dependency you use is not important (that's not so say there aren't occasional issues, because there are, but they get fixed immediately). So it's not the case that CEGUI requires specific versions of the deps, nor that we support only version x.y.z (there are instances where such things occur, for example we support Lua 5.1, but not 5.0).

Perhaps from the next package, I will at least note the versions, then it will be possible for those making their own to get the particular versions I happened to use (even if I consider it unimportant).

CE.

Return to “Modifications / Integrations / Customisations”