CEGUI + OpenGL 3.x

For help with anything that CEGUI doesn't offer straight out-of-the-box, e.g.:
- Implementation of new features, such as new Core classes, widgets, WindowRenderers, etc. ...
- Modification of any existing features for specific purposes
- Integration of CEGUI in new engines or frameworks and writing of new plugins (Renderer, Parser, ...) or modules

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

bazhenovc
Just popping in
Just popping in

CEGUI + OpenGL 3.x

Postby bazhenovc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:35

Hi everyone!

I wonder if CEGUI supports OpenGL 3.x (3.2, 3.3, etc.) or if there are any external ports to fit my needs :)

In a pinch I can do it myself (and contribute), but this is not desirable as I don`t have much free time now :(

jays
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: CEGUI + OpenGL 3.x

Postby jays » Thu Jul 29, 2010 04:13

There is an OpenGL driver for the 0.7 version but I'm not sure if it works with 3.x.
Is 3.x the version where they've started removing deprecated extensions?
I think there was also some trouble with other programs using an old detection method for extensions.
-- Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I ....

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 09:33

Jamarr (I think) asked a similar question a while ago. The answer is currently still the same: I've not yet had the time or inclination to look into OpenGL 3.x.

CE.

bazhenovc
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby bazhenovc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:15

2jays
Yes, they removed all deprecated things :)

2CE
Well, I was not able to find Jamarrs post :)
I`ll implement a module by myself then (for my engine).

Thanks everyone.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Thu Dec 16, 2010 02:15

I just setup a framework for myself using an Opengl 3.3 context and rendering CEGUI to it and it works so far.

There is no problem with deprecated functions afaik, as long as you have compatiblity mode activated (default). I don't see why you would want to go for Opengl 3.x core profile. Do you want to?

However, I see no real benefit for CEGUI in using OpenGL 3.x, and as long as you as user of this library do not directly modify with the CEGUI implementations you shouldnt be bothered with the way CEGUI is running, as long as it runs. I guess it would be a lot of work to change all fixed function stuff to utilize shaders and vertex buffer objects instead in CEGUI, and not really worth the effort, as there are more important things to do.

Anyways, I will report on any problems i will (or will not) encounter with CEGUI + OpenGL 3.x here. But I don't expect troubles, that's what the compatibility profile is good for.

EDIT:

I had some problems when using CEGUI with my OpenGL 3.x code, but they were only my fault: If nothing is being rendered after you rendered OpenGL 3 stuff you should get really sure you have unbound ALL buffers and pointers and textures and whatnot. I forgot about my buffers ;) now it works fine.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

trollviech
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby trollviech » Fri Apr 29, 2011 13:04

Ident wrote:There is no problem with deprecated functions afaik, as long as you have compatiblity mode activated (default).

on my machine the compat mode wasn't enabled by default, so i had to enable it manually. i use glfw, so the command was

Code: Select all

glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_COMPAT_PROFILE);

Return to “Modifications / Integrations / Customisations”