Tooltip Inheritance

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Tooltip Inheritance

Postby Jamarr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 23:23

I noticed that child-windows do not inhert tooltips from their parents. This causes some odd behavior for elements like Listbox's (and other combo-type elements). For instance, if I mouse over the Scrollbar for a Listbox it doesn't display the tooltip. Or, once I add items to the Listbox I can no longer see the Listbox's tooltip if I hover over that item.

I think it would be beneficial if, by default, all child-windows inherited their parents tooltips *unless* that child already has it's own tooltip defined. This would allow Listbox's with a generic tooltip to still display even when items are added too it, while still allowing custom tooltips to be defined per item if so desired.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 08:26

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're aware of the Window::setInheritsTooltipText and related "InheritsTooltipText" property - this gives the behaviour you desire. This (obviously) defaults to being disabled; I agree that it might be better to have it enabled by default - I'll consider this some more and probably make the change for 0.7.0.

CE.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 16:13

Ah, ic. That property is even listed in the CELayoutEditor. Please excuse my ignorance :oops:

Both the 'InheritsAlpha' and 'InhertisTooltipText' has peeked my interest a bit. I was wondering if you've thought about adding the ability to cascade properties? Either via a parent->child relationship or possibly even the ability to share properties between different windows?

For example, instead of having to set 'InhertsAlpha' in every child window, why not simply have a parent property that makes all of it's children (when they are attached) inhert said property automagically?

It could provide some interesting features, such as allowing users to set every window's alpha to .5 via a single property (except for the windows that already have a custom alpha defined), etc.

Though I'm not sure how many properties it would actually be useful for, outside of Alpha and TooltipText, maybe for color schemes or something too. Well, just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 18:02

Hi,

Earlier today I added a ticket for a change to the default state of the InheritsTooltipText to true - it makes much more sense this way.

Thanks for the other property suggestions, I think there is definitely some potential there; once the idea has floated around my head for a while, something should materialise :)

CE.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”