No static build for Mac?

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

brucey
Just popping in
Just popping in

No static build for Mac?

Postby brucey » Sat Sep 27, 2008 20:47

I'm currently wrapping CEGUI for BlitzMax. I tend to compile all the source directly, skipping makefiles, and creating a static lib.

However, I struggled somewhat with the Mac build as it seems to require macPlugins.cpp, which itself has a main() method - handy for dylibs, not so for static :-)

I guess my question is... Can I leave out a set of files which removes the macPlugins.cpp requirement?
I've currently got it building with everything, and the have the main() commented out. It all works. So I'm not overly concerned about compiling it into the lib ;-)

Otherwise this GUI library is very good, and "mostly" appears to work consistently on Mac, Win32 (MinGW), and Linux - barring some colour issues on Mac.

Thanks !

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Sat Sep 27, 2008 21:25

I am not sure about static builds for Mac OS. My guess is that it is missing by accident. Maybe CE can hook into this thread.

The colouring might be a known bug: http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1006
Check out my released snake game using Cegui!

brucey
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby brucey » Sat Sep 27, 2008 21:36

scriptkid wrote:The colouring might be a known bug:

Yeah, I imagine it's to do with that. I remember I had some similar colour-swapping issues when wrapping FreeImage on Mac.

In my test, the WindowsLook frame close button is blue on Mac (Intel), but red on Linux and Win32.

At the moment, I'm just concerned with getting the API working... and then I'll start worrying about the niggly stuff ;-)

Cheers!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 14:05

The only supported build for Mac at the moment is via the XCode project. When rolling your own build systems, you should consult the XCode project for any required definitions / configuration settings.

I did not get a chance yet to look into static builds on the Mac - when I updated the old broken XCode project, I did not add anything - it was just a major cleanup / fix update to get it working. Eventually the 0.7.x line of code will get an all new XCode project and also Mac support via configure / make and these will support the same set of possibilities that we have on Win32 and on linux. I have no ETA on this since I have very little time that I can spend on CEGUI at the present time (about three or four hours over the course of a week).

When trying to get the static build to work, do not forget to define CEGUI_STATIC ;)

The colouring issues are endian related. I think your issue is different to the Property based one. Which image codec is being used? (assuming OpenGL renderer).

CE.

brucey
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby brucey » Sun Sep 28, 2008 14:32

CrazyEddie wrote:I did not get a chance yet to look into static builds on the Mac

No probs. It's running well so far.

CrazyEddie wrote:The colouring issues are endian related. I think your issue is different to the Property based one. Which image codec is being used? (assuming OpenGL renderer).

FreeImage.
I probably should have had a proper dig around first myself, given the problems I've had previously with FreeImage on Mac ;-)

In CEGUIFreeImageImageCodec.cpp, FreeImageImageCodec::load(), I've hacked this in for now :

Code: Select all

for (uint j = 0; j < width; ++j)
            {
                uint p = *(((uint*)(srcBuf + i * pitch)) + j);
#if defined(__APPLE__)
                p &= 0xFFFFFFFF;
#else
                uint r = (p >> 16) & 0x000000FF;
                uint b = (p << 16) & 0x00FF0000;
                p &= 0xFF00FF00;
                p |= r | b;
#endif
                // At the same time we can flip verticaly the image
                // (since textures are required to be upside down)
                // hence this funny maths
                *(((uint*)dstBuf) + (width * (height-1) - i * width) + j) = p;
            }

which fixes it for Intel. I'll try it out on PPC and see how it looks there too.

(um, don't ask for a patch... I'm just a (bad) hacker, and tend to make things up as I go... 8) )

<EDIT> I can confirm the "fix" works for PPC Mac too.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 08:35

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation of using Freeimage and also the fix. I'll add a second ticket on Mantis for this one :)

CE.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59

I checked this fix on an Intel Mac and unfortunately here it appears to actually introduce the colouring issue :?

Can you confirm which version of FreeImage you were using - was it the one we provide in the Mac dependencies or another version you sourced elsewhere?

CE.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:31

With regards to the FreeImage issue, I have committed a change that hopefully will resolve this issue in branches/v0-6 rev. 1859.

I say hopefully, because from reading some things on the 'net, it appears that FreeImage behaves differently depending upon the version in use (though I did not confirm this for myself - perhaps I might play around if I get some free time, ha ha!).

CE.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”