Disabled scrollbars in disabled multiline editbox - logic ?

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Disabled scrollbars in disabled multiline editbox - logic ?

Postby Pompei2 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 22:30

Hello,

I'm asking myself right now if it is logical (from the user's POV) that the scrollbars of a disabled multiline editbox (ME) are disabled too ??

I think if we disable a ME it is to prevent the user from entering/changing its content, but not to prevent him READING the content. If the content is too big, the user can no more read it completely if it's disabled because the scrollbars are too.

If one just wants to show text, the better way to go is to use a StaticText rather then an ME, but if one wants to show text that may be editable under some conditions, he would intuitively use a disabled ME, right ?

Maybe I'm just confused right now, but ATM I think that it would be more logic to have enabled scrollbars on a disabled ME.

Tell me what you think? Or maybe make that user-configurable via a property?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:05

Hi,

I think I'd prefer to use MultiLineEditbox::setReadOnly ;)

CE

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 22:33

d'oh :shock: CEGUI rocks

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:36

hehe :) These things are sometimes quite easy to miss; I've done it myself, and I wrote the thing :lol:

CE.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 15:29

Yeah but what would you do if ...

the ME is in a kind of container widget. This widget is disabled because I want everything that is in it to be disabled, but I still want my user to be able to scroll the ME.

Is there a way to have a child of a disabled widget be enabled ?? I tried using the ->enable() method but it doesn't seem to do the trick

If there is no easy method, I would need to iterate trough the children and disable all except the ME's, these would be set read only ; but I don't like that so much :cry:

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Thu Dec 18, 2008 08:57

Hi,

what do you mean by 'everything which is inside it'? Have you added your own child widgets to a ME or so? Although this is technically possible, maybe it makes more sence to place such controls as siblings, and not as children?
Check out my released snake game using Cegui!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:35

I thought this was just trying to wind me up :lol:

The situation currently is that when a Window is disabled, the entire layout sub-hierarchy starting at that window is disabled - this is by design. The design justification for this is that this is what I wanted it to do :P

Going back to the MultiLineEditbox, if it's disabled - either directly, or by being part of a disabled hierarchy - it makes no sense that the scrollbars would continue to function; the thing is disabled, as in, non-functional. If the scrollbars continued to function it would not, by definition, be disabled.

CE.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16

scriptkid wrote:what do you mean by 'everything which is inside it'? Have you added your own child widgets to a ME or so?

hehehe no, 'it' refers to some container widget I made.

Ok CE I understand. I will do it another way then :P Let's say that this topic is closed, so CE will not go crazy :D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 14:06

Pompei2 wrote:Let's say that this topic is closed, so CE will not go crazy :D

Too late? :P

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”