font optimization for larget character set.

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

crazii
Just popping in
Just popping in

font optimization for larget character set.

Postby crazii » Sat Jul 24, 2010 08:53

well this is a problem encountered by a a lot of guys,
as you know CEGUI's font rendering method is suitable for langguages those have small quantity of characters.
when the amount is quite large (i.e. CJK char set,igoring the Janpan and Korea chars,just for Chinese characters the number is amazing large), there's some problem,such as memory waste and font-texture creation (font init) laggage.
AFAIK,most CE fans modified the code to solve,or to lighten the problem here in my country,China.
one way of those solutins is,"lazy initializaiton" for each character,not for a page(256 chars maybe).that means each character in the font set is created on require,instead of a whole page.
also there's a problem that a font texture hold a set of glyph ,in which only one or two characters are used indeed,the rest chars in the page(the whole 256-char-texture) are not commonly used,even not used at all.

well i post the problem,hopping there's an "offical solution" for most users.
if there's no consideration for those problems,just igore everything here. :mrgreen:

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: font optimization for larget character set.

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 08:45

Yeah, this issue is known to us, and it's something that should be addressed although I don't have an estimate as to when that work might be started. The situation currently is that there is no officially endorsed solution or work around to this issue (mainly because I have not gotten around to looking into it at all yet).

So, unfortunately the situation is that you guys will continue to have to hack around this for the moment :oops:

CE.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”