American English / British English switch +

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

agamemnus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

American English / British English switch +

Postby agamemnus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:16

I like consistency. The other parts that I am using from my program are based in American English, and I write in American English (and so will most of my customers), so I manually changed the CEGUI source code (using Notepad++) to American English--> centre to center, centred (or... idk) to centered, and colour to color. (only string instances... not variables)

I think a lot of people would be interested in a compiler switch.. perhaps the strings could be constants and the switch would determine which version to use. I could start doing that with the code (bit by bit; it's not too easy) if CE gives the go-ahead.

(I've also changed all string instances of "carat" to "caret". I could list the lines and files if anyone is interested in changing this)

(And, as I describe in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4871, I also standardized the window event naming)

kornerr
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Re: American English / British English switch +

Postby kornerr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:27

That's ridiculous. You better spend time on improving your app. You can't change the world and you don't want to. If everyone would be doing it, we won't get any standards. So it's Eddie who decides standards here. And you can't force. So live with it. Just like pissing every day. You'll like it, eventually.
Open Source all the way, baby ;)
Opensource Game Studio

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:32

I agree with kornerr.

While you're at it, please change English. Some of it's features are completely ridiculous. For example indirect speech is completely inconsistent with the rest of the language! I also hate past perfect, so please get rid of that too. Looking forward to the patch! :rofl:

agamemnus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby agamemnus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 23:56

kornerr wrote:That's ridiculous. You better spend time on improving your app. You can't change the world and you don't want to. If everyone would be doing it, we won't get any standards. So it's Eddie who decides standards here. And you can't force. So live with it. Just like pissing every day. You'll like it, eventually.

No one is forcing you to use one or the other. This isn't a programming language.

And you can't force.

I did "force" to my liking; I just want others to easily have that choice, too.

kornerr
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby kornerr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 01:51

Frankly, others don't see this as a problem, and thus don't need it. So nobody is going to make define switches just for one man.
As an alternative, you can change CEGUI sources yourself to suit your needs. And generate a patch from the change. You can then distribute the patch freely and see if anyone else will ever download it.
That said, Eddie has much more important things to do, than to satisfy aesthetics. And I fully support him in that.
Opensource Game Studio

agamemnus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby agamemnus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 03:53

kornerr wrote:Frankly, others don't see this as a problem, and thus don't need it.

Others, being everyone who posted here? So that's 2 people?

So nobody is going to make define switches just for one man.

In my first post, I actually offered to do this...

As an alternative, you can change CEGUI sources yourself to suit your needs.

I already did that, as I said in my first post...

And generate a patch from the change. You can then distribute the patch freely and see if anyone else will ever download it.

The reason I posted here is to be able to put a patch like this into the official version, instead of making a patch almost no one who finds CEGUI will see.

That said, Eddie has much more important things to do, than to satisfy aesthetics. And I fully support him in that.

Again, in my first post, I said I would do this. This isn't about aesthetics; it's about consistency.

kornerr
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby kornerr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 06:18

Others, being everyone who posted here? So that's 2 people?

10 people at IRC.
In my first post, I actually offered to do this...
I already did that, as I said in my first post...
The reason I posted here is to be able to put a patch like this into the official version, instead of making a patch almost no one who finds CEGUI will see.

Where's the link to the patch then?
Opensource Game Studio

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 07:15

You're making your life much more difficult by obsessing over details like this... It would be time consumint to keep up with CEGUI changes with your patch and your patch wouldn't bring you any additional features at all. Better use what's upstream and skip all the trouble 8)

If you find any inconsistencies, they could be only fixed in the next major release 0.8, because forcing the change on people now will mean they have to redo their code and that's not acceptable. But they have to be real inconsistencies, not your personal opinions about color vs colour, etc... CE said he will create a sticky to gather all inconsistency bugs so they can be fixed later.

PS: CE is from UK, that means he likely isn't going to be happy with you americanising CEGUI (Hope you understand what I mean).

agamemnus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby agamemnus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 07:24

kornerr wrote:10 people at IRC.

They aren't here, though. :P

Where's the link to the patch then?

Nowhere. I said I'd start, which means I haven't started yet... and definitely wouldn't be close to any sort of patch any time soon.

Kulik wrote:You're making your life much more difficult by obsessing over details like this...
PS: CE is from UK, that means he likely isn't going to be happy with you americanising CEGUI

1) If people didn't obsess over details, what would the world be like? Oh yeah, just like what it is now, with hundreds-of-millions of dollars space probes (prematurely) exploding because some people forgot to convert to the metric system when designing some subroutines in the programming... :rofl:

2) Seriously: people will be able to use a compile-time switch to determine what they want to use. With a robust constant-label system instead of a string system, that would obviate any need to "keep up" with updates... the pertinent strings would all be in a list in a known file.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 08:04

OK, so for better consistency you're suggesting CEGUI should be split to 2 versions with different naming... Hmm... I may not be a prophet but I am sure this would confuse people a lot. Sharing CEGUI code snippets will be harder and it will create all sorts of weird bugs (subscribing to non existant events for example).

Seriously? Obsessing over typos, apostrophes and british vs us english is the same as obsessing over measurements in metric system? This must be a joke... CEGUI won't explode because of typos... :rofl:

And keeping up with the releases will be hard, trust me... Plus it's a dull, non rewarding work.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08

I will reiterate here what I have already said previously. This will never, ever happen. It's a support and maintenance nightmare waiting to happen, and I'll have no part of it. Furthermore, there will be no additional discussion on this point, because, due to the fact it will never happen, it just creates unnecessary noise on the forum.

You are, of course, free to either maintain and make available your own modified version of CEGUI (although you should make it clear that it's a modified version, because no support will be given here for such modified versions), or to make available a patch set, although again, no support will be given to versions of CEGUI modified in that way.

CE.

agamemnus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby agamemnus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 16:12

Kulik wrote:Sharing CEGUI code snippets will be harder and it will create all sorts of weird bugs (subscribing to non existant events for example).

It's a very simple difference. I don't really see people sharing code snippets here, unless they have a bug or issue. If they do, they can simply state whether they are using the American or English version.

And keeping up with the releases will be hard, trust me... Plus it's a dull, non rewarding work.

There's no way I see that it will be hard. Please provide any explanation as to how it will be hard, or how there would be any need to keep up with the releases.

CrazyEddie wrote: It's a support and maintenance nightmare waiting to happen, and I'll have no part of it. Furthermore, there will be no additional discussion on this point, because, due to the fact it will never happen, it just creates unnecessary noise on the forum.

I don't see how it's a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen, at all. The code would use constants instead of strings, so there's no maintenance issue at all... just tell me this:
how would there be any maintenance problem??

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 16:28

Nobody is sharing code?? Have you seen the Wiki? Tutorials? Code snippets?

How it will be hard to keep up with releases? OK, please consider that somebody actually wants to add a new feature to CEGUI (not just change a string, no no). So he/she creates a code (a lot of work) and then another modified version has to be crafted from that code. If a bug is in the code, it has to be fixed twice, if any new feature is to be added, it has to be done twice. There could be bugs in "synchronization" between the 2 "variants", etc... And if you think you're going to reply that you only want to change event names, it's the same thing, just a smaller scale...

Discussion with you is pointless... We are all being very very polite, believe me that...

Plus as CE said, it isn't going to happen as part of official CEGUI release! Fork it if you want, license permits that... But it would IMO still be VERY insulting to CE himself, who chose CEGUI to be BRITISH.

agamemnus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Postby agamemnus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 19:45

Kulik wrote:Nobody is sharing code?? Have you seen the Wiki? Tutorials? Code snippets?

The vast majority of the wiki/tutorials/code snippets don't even use strings, anyway.

How it will be hard to keep up with releases? OK, please consider that somebody actually wants to add a new feature to CEGUI (not just change a string, no no). So he/she creates a code (a lot of work) and then another modified version has to be crafted from that code. If a bug is in the code, it has to be fixed twice, if any new feature is to be added, it has to be done twice. There could be bugs in "synchronization" between the 2 "variants", etc... And if you think you're going to reply that you only want to change event names, it's the same thing, just a smaller scale...

Discussion with you is pointless... We are all being very very polite, believe me that...

Plus as CE said, it isn't going to happen as part of official CEGUI release! Fork it if you want, license permits that... But it would IMO still be VERY insulting to CE himself, who chose CEGUI to be BRITISH.

You're not reading what I'm saying. There would not be two versions under my proposal!!! THERE WOULD ONLY BE ONE VERSION.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 20:13

agamemnus wrote:You're not reading what I'm saying. There would not be two versions under my proposal!!! THERE WOULD ONLY BE ONE VERSION.

I am not getting down to your level, so I am quitting this thread... :lol: Have a nice day... You had enough hints, I guess you need a punch or a kick... :wink:

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”