Wiki translating

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

IR3uL
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Wiki translating

Postby IR3uL » Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:20

Hi, i was thinking a few hours ago about starting to translate the articles in the wiki, so i installed a local copy of MediaWiki and started to make a few tests with templates until i decided to use the templates from the Arch wiki (rolling my own wasn't exactly practical... why should i reinvent the weel). Content there is released under the same license, so that shouldn't be an issue. The best approach in my opinion is to use interwiki articles for internationalization (wikipedia style), but i don't think that's practical right now since there's not a lot of articles atm.

I think this can be beneficial since more ppl could be able to participate (not everyone understand english) and also we can reach a wider audience, despite the fact they collaborate or not.

I would like to know what others thinks about this before I start. Trow some ideas ppl!=D

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Re: Wiki translating

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:18

First, I'd say that I'm not in any way opposed to this suggestion - the more accessible we can make the available information, the better IMO. However, there two things to maybe consider:

1) A large amount of the stuff on the Wiki is either out dated (and needs to be updated) or totally obsolete / superseded by other docs (and needs to removed).
2) There are preliminary plans afoot to totally revamp the CEGUI website, there will still be a Wiki, though it's form is undecided.

For (1), I don't have a list or anything, though I can say that things like the Wikied version of the Falagard docs, and the "CrazyEddie's beginner guide" tutorials are definitely going to be removed (since they're both out of date and also now part of the main doxygen docs). For much of the rest of it, I would be able to advise on a case-by-case basis, though I guess one 'litmus test' would be to look at the original author of the article and the age of the article, if it was me who wrote it, and the article is quite old, then chances are it will get purged at some point in the future. Most of the rest of it just needs updating for 0.7.x support (again checking article age is a good idea).

CE

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:01

I suggest creating {Template:Version} (I don't remember wiki specifics right now) or something that will notify the user what version the article was tested with and what versions it is written for. This can further allow browsing the docs by major version for example.

I would vote to keep older docs but mark them appropriately. Docs that are duplicate should definitely be removed.

I don't know if translating the docs would help anybody. Personally I have yet to see a coder who doesn't know English at least decently. It is probably helpful for content creators though.

IR3uL
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby IR3uL » Wed Sep 29, 2010 14:18

CrazyEddie wrote:1) A large amount of the stuff on the Wiki is either out dated (and needs to be updated) or totally obsolete / superseded by other docs (and needs to removed).
2) There are preliminary plans afoot to totally revamp the CEGUI website, there will still be a Wiki, though it's form is undecided.

I'm totally aware of 1, as a matter of fact (i forgot to clarify this in the original post) one of the good things is the original content will get a chance to be updated. About the doxygenized docs, I’m not sure if it's doable (I’m pretty sure the api can't be translated because is embedded in the code), but i can provide you with a translation of it, i will need some assistance tho as to how should i proceed because I’m not used to work with doxygen.

2) If you want/need any help with it just drop me a mail, i was thinking about trow you some stuff about this yesterday (something like a mockup or stuff like that) but i don't want to do duplicate work. :D

Kulik wrote:I suggest creating {Template:Version} (I don't remember wiki specifics right now) or something that will notify the user what version the article was tested with and what versions it is written for. This can further allow browsing the docs by major version for example

Can i see an example of this? maybe i can came up with something. Can you provide a link?

Kulik wrote:I would vote to keep older docs but mark them appropriately. Docs that are duplicate should definitely be removed.

I agree to some extent. eg: keeping docs for v0.4 is not practical in my opinion. Thing's have changed a lot since then,

Kulik wrote:I don't know if translating the docs would help anybody. Personally I have yet to see a coder who doesn't know English at least decently. It is probably helpful for content creators

It's true normally coders know English to some extent (tbh, mostly good docs are in English), but the thing is, some people feels more comfortable reading in his own language. Some doesn't have a good level of English, so they tend to misunderstand things (sometimes i have this problem myself and i consider I’m a good reader =D). But i think you are totally right and content creators will get most benefices.

Btw CE (totally off-topic, I’m sorry :D ). What means HTH? :rofl:

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Wed Sep 29, 2010 15:58

Article about templates http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates

In practise this would mean creating something like Template:VersionBadge and inserting this code to the beginning of all "badged" articles:

Code: Select all

{{VersionBadge|major=7|atLeast=7.2}}

The version badge template can have some logic, it could for example check whether major equals current stable major version and in that case make the version badge box green, if the major version is higher, make it yellow and if it's smaller, make it red or something?

Furthermore I would allow something like

Code: Select all

{{TestedVersion|7.1}} {{TestedVersion|7.2}}

Any opinions about this? I think it would help wiki a lot to have some warning before users dig into outdated articles. Basically badged articles are confirmed to work with such and such version.

Even article sections could have badges, not just articles.

EDIT: HTH is Hope That Helps.

IR3uL
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby IR3uL » Wed Sep 29, 2010 19:10

I see your point, sounds like a cool feature. I'll look into it.

Tks for the clarification about HTH ;)

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Postby Kulik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 20:37

I dug my old mediawiki and crafted the badges for CEGUI from it.

You can see it in action in this article http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Animation_System

See the code of the article for usage and tell me opinions.

If CEGUI's wiki supported parser extensions I could do #ifeq and warn user if the version the article is written for is obsolete or something. Furthermore if the wiki supported categories, users could browse through all articles for 0.7 major version for example.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Postby Jamarr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:30

I like this.
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

IR3uL
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby IR3uL » Thu Sep 30, 2010 22:26

I wrote basically the same you did in my local wiki, but i found out later that CEGUI wiki doesn't support ParserFunctions extension. Perhaps CE can do something about it...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 09:08

Yeah, the version badges are a good idea, and I like it a lot.

I don't know anything about parser extensions, but will look into it shortly, and report back soon.

CE.

IR3uL
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby IR3uL » Fri Oct 01, 2010 16:39

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions

I'm really sry, i should've posted this link before hehe.

You have to download the 1.15.1 branch of the extension.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”