Which CEGUI tools shall be used now?

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

wondersye
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Which CEGUI tools shall be used now?

Postby wondersye » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:32

Hello,

As I understand, defining one's GUI from code is soon not that convenient (frequent rebuilding needed), so people end up using graphical tools for that.
I am using the 0.7.5 version; what are the currently recommended tools in terms of layout editors and al: CELayoutEditor, CEED, other(s)?

Maybe, once a XML-based version of a GUI has been completed, it could be useful (faster? safer?) to be able to generate its C++-based counterpart and integrate its definition directly in the code?

Finally, is there a time-frame for the 0.8 version, and what impact regarding these tools will it have?

Thanks in advance for any hint!

Best regards,

Olivier Boudeville.

Kulik
CEGUI Team

Re: Which CEGUI tools shall be used now?

Postby Kulik » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:37

The situation is as follows: :-)

CELayoutEditor1 - 0.7 support
CELayoutEditor2 - 0.7 support, possibly unstable - WIP alpha quality code
CEED - 0.8 support with various compatibility layers, the plan is to support 0.6, 0.7 and 0.8 seamlessly, this is undergoing heavy changes and unless you want to edit imagesets or you wish to help me with this, I wouldn't recommend using it

If I were you I would use CELE2, it has undo redo and many productivity features as opposed to CELE1.

Also see this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5522

EDIT2: Generating C++, python and lua code from .layout XML files is also planned for CEED. It is easy to achieve but not high priority.
EDIT: 0.8 is planned to be released this year.

wondersye
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby wondersye » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:57

Thanks for your quick answer.
I had not realized that CELayoutEditor2 == CELE2! Will try it soon.

Best regards,

Olivier.

wondersye
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby wondersye » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:53

Hi,

So I would like to give a try to CELE2, on Linux. Is there any better guideline than http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/ ... outEditor2 which looks mostly Windows-centered?

Thanks in advance,

Olivier.

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”