[Solved/Bug] CEGUI’s pkg-config file is broken on Linux

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Quintus

[Solved/Bug] CEGUI’s pkg-config file is broken on Linux

Postby Quintus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 14:54

Hi there,

first off, finding the right place to report bugs was kind of a showstopper for me. I went to CEGUI’s front page, clicked the "Bug Tracker" link and desparately tried to register with that bugtracker, but it turned out to not be possible. Not sure how much bug reports are never created due to this.

OK, now for the real problem. CEGUI’s pkg-config file specifies a broken include path. Configured with -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCEGUI_LIB_INSTALL_DIR=lib the following pkg-config file is output:

Code: Select all

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${prefix}/lib64
includedir=${prefix}/include/cegui-0
moduledir=${prefix}/lib64/cegui-0.8
datafiles=${prefix}/share/cegui-0

Name: CEGUI-0
Description: The free GUI library for games and multi-media development.
Version: 0.8.3
Libs: -L${libdir} -lCEGUIBase-0
Cflags: -I${includedir} -I${includedir}/cegui

The Cflags part is incorrect. Once installed, the headers are in /usr/include/cegui-0/CEGUI -- note the different casefolding of the last component: The pkg-config file specifies a lowercase path, whereas in reality the path is in uppercase. As Windows ignores case, this problem will only show up on *nix systems and result in build systems unable to find the CEGUI headers.

CEGUI version is 0.8.3.

Valete,
Quintus

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: [Bug] CEGUI’s pkg-config file is broken on Linux

Postby Ident » Sun Apr 20, 2014 18:55

Quintus wrote:first off, finding the right place to report bugs was kind of a showstopper for me. I went to CEGUI’s front page, clicked the "Bug Tracker" link and desparately tried to register with that bugtracker, but it turned out to not be possible. Not sure how much bug reports are never created due to this.

Thanks for the info that is a real problem. I will think of a way to make this more intuitive. The login is your forum login btw, i guess it isnt mentioned - or did logging in with it not work for you?

Quintus wrote:OK, now for the real problem. CEGUI’s pkg-config file specifies a broken include path. Configured with -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCEGUI_LIB_INSTALL_DIR=lib the following pkg-config file is output:

Code: Select all

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${prefix}/lib64
includedir=${prefix}/include/cegui-0
moduledir=${prefix}/lib64/cegui-0.8
datafiles=${prefix}/share/cegui-0

Name: CEGUI-0
Description: The free GUI library for games and multi-media development.
Version: 0.8.3
Libs: -L${libdir} -lCEGUIBase-0
Cflags: -I${includedir} -I${includedir}/cegui

The Cflags part is incorrect. Once installed, the headers are in /usr/include/cegui-0/CEGUI -- note the different casefolding of the last component: The pkg-config file specifies a lowercase path, whereas in reality the path is in uppercase. As Windows ignores case, this problem will only show up on *nix systems and result in build systems unable to find the CEGUI headers.

CEGUI version is 0.8.3.

Valete,
Quintus

Thanks for the info. I will forward it to someone using unix systems to test and change this.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Quintus

Postby Quintus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 19:14

Ident wrote:The login is your forum login btw, i guess it isnt mentioned - or did logging in with it not work for you?

It is not mentioned on the page (or I overlooked it, but I really tried to find something). After this I looked here in the forums (usually people won’t look for forums when they look for a bug tracker) and hence did not even try to use the forum login for the bugtracker.

Ident wrote:Thanks for the info. I will forward it to someone using unix systems to test and change this.

Yes, that would be nice.

Vale,
Quintus

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sat May 03, 2014 13:57

Quintus wrote:
Ident wrote:The login is your forum login btw, i guess it isnt mentioned - or did logging in with it not work for you?

It is not mentioned on the page (or I overlooked it, but I really tried to find something). After this I looked here in the forums (usually people won’t look for forums when they look for a bug tracker) and hence did not even try to use the forum login for the bugtracker.

I added a quite elaborate description to the login page of mantis. Do you think this is sufficient now?

Quintus wrote:
Ident wrote:Thanks for the info. I will forward it to someone using unix systems to test and change this.

Yes, that would be nice.

CrazyEddie checked it and did this commit that should fix the issue:
https://bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui/commi ... 48ee2f66f2
It is only in v0-8 branch for now, could you test it so we can be sure it is also fixed for you too now?

Thanks for your input.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Quintus

Postby Quintus » Sat May 03, 2014 16:22

Ident wrote:I added a quite elaborate description to the login page of mantis. Do you think this is sufficient now?

Absolutely. This looks very nice and should prevent further errors on this part. :-)

Ident wrote:It is only in v0-8 branch for now, could you test it so we can be sure it is also fixed for you too now?

A quick compilation of the v0-8 branch and checking of the .pc file looks fine to me. Directing pkg-config to use that also made it put out the correct directory for the -I option. Thanks for correcting!

Ident wrote:Thanks for your input.

Glad I could help.

Vale,
Quintus

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”