[RESOLVED][Bug] ItemListbox redraw issue

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: [Bug] ItemListbox redraw regression on 0.8.4

Postby Ident » Wed Aug 12, 2015 16:56

Alain B wrote:In the context of the bug, by moving the wnd->addChild(p_list); after the for loop (both in the extract in my last post) I see the three expected items.

That's what I needed. Thank you, i will look into it in a bit.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

iceiceice
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby iceiceice » Fri Mar 11, 2016 18:46

Note that this bug is still active, I bumped this one just now: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6220

but I think they might really be the same bug, not sure.

Alain B
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Alain B » Sun Apr 23, 2017 09:57

Two years later, I confirm this bug is present on 0.8.7

I also confirm that the workaround described here by iceiceice (i.e. calling notifyScreenAreaChanged on the ItemListbox object after adding an item) does the trick for me.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14

Sorry for not having fixed this yet. I got a lot on my backlog and way too little time to do all of it :)

Since CEGUI is very trimmed on performance, we only update what is necessary. The notifyScreenAreaChanged call is basically a "nuke it all". Properly fixing this is a bit more complicated and we have had a few similar issues with other elements as well. However, if we use ths nuke-call carefully, especially in cases that happen not so often (like as you said, when the item is added), it should be safe to fix it using it in v0-8 as workaround, I believe. So this is what I will try to go for.

We might want to consider a rewrite of the caching/updating system for 1.0. But clearly this is out of the scope as a quick-fix for now ;)

Thanks for getting back to this issue after such a long time btw.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32

Alain B wrote:I got the sample brower to compile on Gentoo. I'll propose them a patch for it. Contrary to what I first thought, there's no need to change CEGUI's cmake build.

On the other front, I reproduce the bug by simply adding the following block in HellowWorld.cpp, at the end of HelloWorldDemo::initialise (just before the return true; line). Didn't seem worth a patch since it's a single block copy/paste. Whole modified file is here.

Code: Select all

CEGUI::ItemListbox * p_list = static_cast<CEGUI::ItemListbox *>(
        CEGUI::WindowManager::getSingleton().createWindow("TaharezLook/ItemListbox", "test_listbox"));

p_list->setSize(CEGUI::USize(CEGUI::UDim(0.9f,0),CEGUI::UDim(0.9f,0)));

wnd->addChild(p_list);

for(unsigned i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
    {
        std::ostringstream oss;
        oss << i;
        std::string text = oss.str();

CEGUI::ItemEntry * p_itm =
            static_cast<CEGUI::ItemEntry *>(
                CEGUI::WindowManager::getSingleton().createWindow("TaharezLook/ListboxItem", text));
        p_itm->setText(text);
        p_list->addItem(p_itm);
    }

p_list->invalidate();
    p_list->show();

I added this before the return of the HelloWorld initialise function and I see 1,2,3 in the list without interaction with anything. Am I missing something?

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: [Bug][Workaround] ItemListbox redraw issue on 0.8.7

Postby Ident » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:34

We recently changed something in Window.cpp regarding the notifyDisplaySizeChanged call in there, which is now recursive. I think this might have fixed this bug as well. Would you have time to try out v0-8 ?

EDIT:
I just searched the commit and tried it out. Pre-commit : Shows 1,2. After commit: Shows 1,2,3. Fix is confirmed.

Changeset:
6606 (cfab39dac3b7) Fix for sizing of FrameWindow - the children windows that should become visibile …

Alain B
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Alain B » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44

No need to be sorry about not fixing it. I know how backlogs are :)

With what renderer did you try it? Do you remember it's specific to the ogre renderer?

At the time the issue was reported, I had it with 0.8.4, using both my own app and the sample browser.

Right now, I just reproduced the issue with 0.8.7 and only my own app, not yet the sample browser. I'll try with the sample browser ASAP, just to be certain, and I'll come back to you.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47

I was editing my post when you wrote your last reply: v0-8 has the fix in it, I confirmed it, check my last edited post if you haven't :pint:

Edit: The fix would be in the next Release of 0.8, which would be 0.8.8

Alain B
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Alain B » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:54

Great thanks!

I love it when bug disappear as a side-effect of another fix :mrgreen:

I'll edit OP title to mark it as solved.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59

Alain B wrote:I love it when bug disappear as a side-effect of another fix :mrgreen:

I'll edit OP title to mark it as solved.

Thanks for marking it solved.

I also love it if fixes are multi-fixes.

Unfortunately, as hinted towards earlier, the call that was changed results in a bit more of recaching than might be needed (in other cases). But imho it is better to have everything working properly, than having something working unnoticably faster but with some bugs. I doubt anyone will notice a performance impact based off this and we discussed the fix beforehands thoroughly. There was just no better way without overhauling big parts of the caching system ;) If performance concerns ever come up by any user, we will simply look at those specific use-cases causing them and see what can be done :)

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”