Widget rotation bug?

If you found a bug in our library or on our website, please report it in this section. In this forum you can also make concrete suggestions or feature requests.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Ident
CEGUI Team

Re: Widget rotation bug?

Postby Ident » Sun Feb 24, 2019 17:18

Suthiro wrote:And may I wonder what/who is Cizion?

Absolutely nothing, iti s a typo, it is supposed to be "tion" as in "projecTION". Not sure how this ended up like this, I got no autocomplete/suggestions as I am on PC ;) It will remain a mystery

Suthiro wrote:Thank you again for your help!

No worries. I would suggest to just use an orthographic projection if that is what you would expect. I personally would expect a perspective projection, you would also see this in a lot of 1st person shooter games these days, especialy sci-fi themed.

And btw you said "did not expect CEGUI to use its own projection" - well it needs to get it from SOMEWHERE though. And there is no way to steal it from the rendering pipeline because there exists no notion of what is "the" or "a" projection matrix. It just computes.
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Suthiro
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Suthiro » Sun Feb 24, 2019 18:08

Ident wrote:Absolutely nothing, iti s a typo

Ok 8)
Ident wrote: I would suggest to just use an orthographic projection if that is what you would expect.

Already and it works. I added code to be able to change projection matrix of render target, with perspective as default.
Ident wrote:And there is no way to steal it from the rendering pipeline because there exists no notion of what is "the" or "a" projection matrix. It just computes.

I'm not very familiar with inner kitchen of rendering, so I learn. Must say, I learned many things already due to open-sourceness of CEGUI. And since nearly every rendering tutorial supposes to use something like gluPerspective(), I had a feeling that projection matrix is nailed to viewport and everything that is drawn uses viewport's projection matrix.

Ident
CEGUI Team

Postby Ident » Sun Feb 24, 2019 18:18

Suthiro wrote:I'm not very familiar with inner kitchen of rendering, so I learn. Must say, I learned many things already due to open-sourceness of CEGUI. And since nearly every rendering tutorial supposes to use something like gluPerspective(), I had a feeling that projection matrix is nailed to viewport and everything that is drawn uses viewport's projection matrix.

gluPerspective is a (sort of deprecated) old-style function used for graphics programming using "fixed-function pipelines". We now have a programmable graphics pipeline that is used basically on any modern device and in any modern software.
In modern render programming you use shaders and the shaders will do the computations using the maths that you define in them. As such, a matrix you pass in there could be anything and used anyhow. Whereas gluPerspective was using the fixed-function state-machine based system to do exactly only this one thing until its value is changed again.

Therefore, the best way to offer options would be to provide an interface for people to set the matrix for CEGUI completely on their own (with a default that is used otherwise), basically the same as the change you mentioned.

On default branch we should probably add such a change.

EDIT: some additions about gluPerspective
CrazyEddie: "I don't like GUIs"

Return to “Bug Reports, Suggestions, Feature Requests”