JollyGrim

Projects using CEGUI or any kind of implementation revolving around CEGUI - Post it here!
Showing off screenshots and giving a short description is highly encouraged!

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

ShadowTiger
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

JollyGrim

Postby ShadowTiger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 20:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EluuvjhZVs

http://www.jollygrim.com
(note, you can play the alpha, but there may not be any other users to play against, so the tutorial will be all you can do)

I work for the Pumpkin Betrayal, and we are using CEGUI for all of our graphics.

JollyGrim is the world's first (afik) online RTS card game, and it will be free to play. You can watch the above video link to see a gameplay walkthrough.

Planned Features:
Over 250 cards during the open beta.
Collect cards with booster packs, there are stronger booster packs that give you added luck.
The gameplay is strategic and balanced, you have plenty opportunity to react to your opponent's strategy with your own counter.
No unfair cards or combinations, even the rarest card in the game can be defeated by a standard set of cards. (rare does not mean better, just more interesting)
Play in 1v1 and 2v2 ranked matches, company hosted and user hosted tournament support
Achievements, Rankings, Avatar Customization, Chat & Friends Lists
ALL content is available to earn with in-game currency
If you want, you can pay cash to assist your collection of cards and items.

Current Alpha Features:
Random matchmaking for 1v1 battles with 70 cards to choose from.

Info For programmers:
We used RakNet for the networking layer, nothing to fancy here. I'm working adding the secure connections in the near future, and an autopatcher with a custom GUI.
We have a client/server architecture, the server does all the game logic and the client just shows the animations and receives the user input.
The gui is Crazy Eddies GUI, and it works great for our 2D game, we built in a simple animation class and everything is just layered images/windows.
We have OpenAL and OggVorbis for the sound/music, but unfortunately its not very stable... oh well. Hopefully we can get rid of the random crashes.

We are using CEGUI 6.2, some of the newer features in 7.0 would be nice but I don't have time to port over the project to the new code. The main feature I need is the rotating windows.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Re: JollyGrim

Postby Jamarr » Tue Jun 29, 2010 21:59

Thanks for posting. It is always nice to see the various flavors in which CEGUI can be used. The game looks fun and strategic so far. I also like your business model. You seem to be headed in the right direction. Good luck with your project.
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:34

Cool. Thanks for posting - things are looking quite impressive so far :D

CE.

DarkRagnar
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby DarkRagnar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 00:35

Hi everyone! I'm one of the Designers of JollyGrim at The Pumpkin Betrayal. I'm here to post an update about our game. We have recently created a Kickstarter project for JollyGrim you can find here. If you aren't familiar with Kickstarter, it is a website that helps independent companies and groups to raise money for their various projects over the internet. As an incentive, almost all projects have backer incentives so to speak for donations of various sizes. Usually they consist of limited edition stuff, swag, and in game items. We also have a new game play video there!

Return to “User Projects”