C# Port

Projects using CEGUI or any kind of implementation revolving around CEGUI - Post it here!
Showing off screenshots and giving a short description is highly encouraged!

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

leedgitar
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C# Port

Postby leedgitar » Tue Mar 23, 2004 22:39

First off, nice new site there Paul :)

Anyway, just wanted to drop a post in and let people know that I'll be doing the C# port, if you haven't heard that already. I had started porting .3 but have paused until the latest version progresses further. Once I get a look at how ol' CrazyEd is setting up the new rendering abstraction and such, I'll be getting promptly to work (that is, once I've finished hardware skinning and shadows in Axiom :)). I'd like to have the C# version done around the same time the C++ version is released (if not sooner :twisted:), so for the .Net junkies out there, that should give you something to look forward to. :wink:

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:10

First off, nice new site there Paul :)

Well, anything had to be better than what I had before :mrgreen:

I'd like to have the C# version done around the same time the C++ version is released (if not sooner :twisted:)

8O

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Tue Mar 30, 2004 20:22

I find the scripting possibilities in .NET to be fascinating - and if you can pull off what you describe, that'd be really cool!

The last website was a little sparce wasnt it

I got really tired of editing that damned html file! What we have here gives much easier control over content, as well as looking the part.

Well I managed todo the bulk of the translation for my now abandoned Delphi port in only a few days. And thats with rewriting it for a language which is syntaxically very different.

Though as you basically said on GameDev - your job was not made very easy by a certain person who kept moving the goal-posts :mrgreen:

This new version should remain pretty stable once the base system is in place, which is about 70 -75% done now, there's a few bits left to implement (biggest is Font support), and a couple of decisions to be made about auto-scaling and what level certain interfaces should be presented at. After that it's just a matter of implementing the various Widgets (a lot of that code will come from the current alpha version), implementing the Renderers for multiple API support, making sure it compile's and runs on other platforms, and so on.

I'm still hoping for a June release...

leedgitar
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C# Port

Postby leedgitar » Fri May 21, 2004 05:29

Just a quick update to let people know that things are happening as we speak. My fingers are on fire as I continue to play catch up with Paul. By the end of the weekend, I am hoping to have all classes stubbed out and fully documented, and the Axiom renderer/texture code complete (about 50% at the moment). If I have enough coffee, maybe I could even have a mouse cursor rendering :), but I won't promise anything.
I have to go back and make a few very minor changes to Axiom before I can finish that.

Over the weekend if I get far enough, I'll generate a .chm from the comments so that the API can be checked out in all of it's managed glory :)

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri May 21, 2004 08:32

Cool :)

I really want to get my version out the door, and also to see the C#/Axoim port start to take shape - because then I can use it in another project I have on the back-burner, which is the same project for which the very first gui system was written over a year ago, though now I'm targetting .Net with that so need a decent Gui system I can use. :lol:

leedgitar
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C# Port

Postby leedgitar » Fri May 21, 2004 14:51

...though now I'm targetting .Net with that so need a decent Gui system I can use.

:lol:

Cool, well you've come to the right place :D.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri May 21, 2004 17:51

:D

It's all quite funny really. When MS first came out with the whole .Net thing, I, like so many others, basically dismissed it and said I'd never touch it with a barge pole.

Then a while later I needed to upgrade from VC++ 6 Pro, and obviously the only way to get the proper compiler at the time was to get the whole VS.Net Pro package (or better) which is what I did. I was bored one weekend and started tinkering with some C# stuff (since it was there), and I began to realise that there was much more to this whole ".net rubbish" than I had ever realised. So, I got a few C# books and what have you, played around some more, became totally amazed at some of the things the IDE would do for you, and eventually decided that, where possible, this is what I wanted to use in the future.

Of course at the same time there was this GUI thing I was working on too - which had, to my surprise, gained a bit of momentum. And there were even people in the Ogre forums talking about it :lol:. So my conversion to C#/.Net would not become 'total', but I cetainly learned that to dismiss things without even giving them a good look is to be arrogant in the extreme.

Ultimately, I have ended up with a few small projects in the larval stage that I intend to develop using C#, and an all consuiming GUI system that has taken on a life of it's own and my free time with it. Still, it's all good fun... :D

leedgitar
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C# Port

Postby leedgitar » Wed May 26, 2004 15:46

Funny how things work out eh? :)

I didn't get as much done over the weekend as I had planned, but last night I came so close to getting the first running version using Axiom, but had to pack it in so I could get a reasonable amount of sleep. It is now running totally thorough in a demo I have set up, at this point simply loading an imageset from XML (since I don't need Fonts or Windows yet, and Scheme isn't done) and setting up the mouse and pumping the events through. Once I implement RenderQuadDirect in the Axiom renderer, I should have a mouse cursor! :D

From there, it will be on to finishing adding the new Window stuff that I don't have yet, then being able to at least replicate what was avilable in the first Ogre demo you released (with the 3 windows w/ title and close button). Stay tuned for the latest...

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed May 26, 2004 17:46

Sounds like things are going great :D

I know it's such a relief after putting a load of work in, and after what seems like forever, you finally get something on-screen (and think to yourself, thank god for that!) :)

leedgitar
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C# Port

Postby leedgitar » Thu May 27, 2004 01:59

Tonight is one of those very rare nights where (2150 lines of code later) something actually worked the very first time I ran it. Behold: a mouse cursor :lol:

I'll give another update once I get some window action going on :wink:

Edit: <removed original pic posted due to its size, better pics appear later in the thread anyway :) >

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Thu May 27, 2004 08:22

Cool :D

leedgitar
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C# Port

Postby leedgitar » Mon May 31, 2004 07:53

Another update for everyone, the Taherez FrameWindow is implemented and working :D, minus the close button and titlebar since I haven't finished them yet and its approaching 4am over here, so it can wait till tomorrow :wink:

Anyway, the mouse behaviors all work correctly (aside from moving the window around of course, since there is no titlebar yet). Resizing from all sides works and the mouse cursor changes appropriately. Alpha transparency can also be seen in the shot.

A significant portion of the base code is mostly complete, so things are gonna pick up faster from here on out. After I get enough functional to be worth releasing, I'll put up a compiled demo for everyone to run and see it in action.

The pic below shows the main window with a child window, some alpha transparency, and the mouse cursor changing since it is over a sizing location.

[Edit: Image removed , new pic later in the thread]

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

C# Port

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon May 31, 2004 08:18

It's coming on really well - excellent stuff.

I can see I'm going to have to pull my finger out and get the rest of the widgets done, otherwise we'll have to rename it CrazyLeeds GUI :lol:

Return to “User Projects”