Lua made Layout IDE

Projects using CEGUI or any kind of implementation revolving around CEGUI - Post it here!
Showing off screenshots and giving a short description is highly encouraged!

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Acrion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Lua made Layout IDE

Postby Acrion » Wed Jul 06, 2005 18:14

I'm working on an IDE in CEGUI to create CEGUI interfaces. This is primarily for my next project but I think others will find it useful too.

The current layout is similar to a Visual Basic IDE. The toolbox is created by an array of Widget names with custom icons. The components on the "forms" (FrameWindow's) are live but dragable on a grid.

I'm currently fighting with a method of dragging to resize. I was thinking a widget could appear when you select a control but I'm not sure yet.

I'm struggling with a properties box as well. This isn't as easy as I thought originally.

Eventually, I may expand it to have a Lua script editor for events making the save format a Lua script file instead of xml.

I'm just curious to everyone's thoughts. I will share it once it is fully functional or if I get contributions.
[font=Verdana][size=xx-small]"It's not hard to stand out when the general level of competence is so low" -EMH[/size][/font]
namik@flashmail.com

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Re: Lua made Layout IDE

Postby lindquist » Wed Jul 06, 2005 21:20

I'm glad to see how much "fun" you get from that Lua module...
Have'nt had that much feedback on it!

The project sounds very interesting.

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Fri Jul 15, 2005 08:33

Hi,

just a little check: are you creating an editor? If that's the case, are you aware of the current editor which is available (CELayoutEditor)? Its available from the Downloads/Tools section of this site. Might save you some time :-)

Acrion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Acrion » Tue Jul 19, 2005 16:20

Yes, I am aware... But to use that would ruin my fun.

Actually, I'm looking for an OS independent, dynamic environment for (mostly myself) learning how CEGUI works and acts.

Some people play polo, some golf or video games... I'm quite partial to Lua.
[font=Verdana][size=xx-small]"It's not hard to stand out when the general level of competence is so low" -EMH[/size][/font]

namik@flashmail.com

scriptkid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby scriptkid » Wed Jul 20, 2005 07:36

Ok, i understand. Writing an editor helps indeed in learning the system.

What problems do you have with properties? To see which properties are available for widgets? You can get a PropertySet for that (also see the source of my editor).

Otherwise can you explain the problem more clear?

Good luck! :-)

Acrion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Acrion » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:24

My biggest issue is using live widgets. I'm using a StaticImage for the container (and for getting a border) but I have to disable the live widget so that it will not take events. This works great except widgets don't always look their best when disabled. I was hoping I wouldn't have to create a new widget to not forward control to child widgets. It looks like I have no other option though. Dragging and resizing works great though.

I haven't started with properties or saving yet though. It will require too much validation of properties to comprehend before I'm ready. One mistake in Lua and the whole app goes down. :x

If anyone is interested in seeing what I have so far in Lua, let me know. It's up to you to create a basic CEGUI shell to run the script though, mine is practically held together with duct tape and glue in MSVC 2005 Beta 2.

namik@flashmail.com

Return to “User Projects”