Driver for Allegro?

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

fiammy
Just popping in
Just popping in

Driver for Allegro?

Postby fiammy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 15:37

Hello,
I'm getting used to the Yake project at the moment, and I really like what I see when I look at the possible complexity of GUI elements one can have with the CEGUI driver.

I am also working on the side on another project, using Allegro. That project could really benefit of a good GUI. Is it possible to have a non-AllegroGL version of the CEGUI driver? I mean, would I be able to write a driver for CEGUI without needing 3D acceleration?

I've looked at the OpenGL driver, but that consists of only 2 files. I'm a bit wary that that isn't the entire 'driver', as I can imagine there's lots of stuff going on behind.
Could someone give me an idea of the major parts that should be in a 2D driver?

Thanks

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Re: Driver for Allegro?

Postby lindquist » Tue Nov 15, 2005 17:01

The OpenGL "driver" is fully contained in the two files you mention (actually four counting headers).

Writing a renderer module for a 2D library is certainly possible, but there are some obstacles.

CEGUI makes heavy use of scaled imagery and colour modulation.
This means that your 2D lib must have _fast_ support for this if you want decent performance.

Besides that you just implement the CEGUI::Renderer and CEGUI::Texture and you should be ready :)

A skin could be created that would easy up on these requirements, but you cannot avoid it completely unless you use no colours at all and just take exactly whats in the imageset files.

This is a problem for text as the font system generates white for the colour (to be easily multiplied to become any colour).

Imagery stretching can in many cases be replaced by tiling but no always...

As you can hear doing a 2D renderer takes some work :P

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”