Submitted a couple of VC7.0 patches

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Sinbad
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Sinbad » Sun Oct 17, 2004 17:25

Just incase you don't get notified from the patch system, I submitted a couple of patches to fix building under VC7.0 w/ STLport.

I'm just catching up with the CVS head now - is it safe to assume this will become a stable version with few more changes? I saw the change away from boost::bind the other day, are there any more interface breaking changes in the pipeline?

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Oct 17, 2004 19:28

Hi,

Thanks for the patches, these should be checked in tomorrow morning :)

There should be no more major breaking changes now. I'll probably not do much more to the core library at all for a while. It's my intention to prepare a proper beta 1 release, I have no new estimate for this, but the current CVS code for CEGUIBase, the gui renderers, WindowsLook, and TaharezLook is basically what will be in that release (except for bug fixes).

The new events implementation and the move away from boost::signals and boost::bind should not cause too much disruption; most client code will compile and continue to work as-is. These changes were originally going to be part of the beta1-devel to head merge, the reason they were not ready at that time was due to my insistance upon a high level of interface compatability.

Hopefully this will clear up any concerns about interface stability.

Sinbad
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Sinbad » Sun Oct 17, 2004 23:03

Cool, thanks. We're due to do a new stable Ogre release in about a week (0.15), and after that one of the things I intend to do is replace our own internal GUI demo with a CEGui based one, ready for 1.0.

I like the changes you've made in beta-devel, I just wondered how soon it would be wise for us to start publishing samples. I think it's a little close to the 0.15 release to get all the build systems and documentation updated, and I know _mental_ is working on the resource side too, which would be worth waiting for, but I don't think it'll be long before we make the move official.

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Postby CrazyEddie » Mon Oct 18, 2004 07:26

Yeah, the time is about right for anybody wanting a stable interface for the system (as opposed to a couple of weeks ago, which would have been a very bad idea).

As you obviously know, it's always hard to make the decision to go ahead with breaking changes; especially the number of such changes that I eventually went for. Though I do think that everybody should be able to see the benefits of each change that was made.

I am also looking forward to the resource manager system from _mental_, it should be the icing on the cake.

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”