Performance

Discussion regarding the development of CEGUI itself - as opposed to questions about CEGUI usage that should be in the help forums.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

ritz
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Performance

Postby ritz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 09:59

Hello All,

Earlier also i have discussed this issue on this group. I have seen a major CPU utilization when any of CEGUI applcaition runs on my machine. (it goes closed to 99 to 100%). As per previous post what i could get it is that it is possible to improve the per formance by controlling the frame rate.

Is theie any other tip which can be used for improving the performance of the cegui application.

Thanks
Ritz

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Performance

Postby CrazyEddie » Fri Nov 26, 2004 14:23

Which renderer is this using?
What else is being drawn on the screen?
What CEGUI elements do you have on screen?
Is this the release or debug build?
Are you locking to VSync, or letting it run wild?
What kind of frame rates are you getting?
What does profiling show you?

All of the above are things that you need to consider, there is no simple "oh, do this..." answer; it depends too much on your specific application.

In any case, 100% CPU usage may be nothing to worry about depending upon the way your application is set up, and chances are has diddly-squat to do with raw-performance (meaning FPS) of the app.

CE.

ritz
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Performance

Postby ritz » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:12

Hello,

I am running demo - 7 available on your site.
i am using folowing setup

Which renderer is this using - DirectX9
What else is being drawn on the screen - sky box
What CEGUI elements do you have on screen? - list and other widget
Is this the release or debug build? - release
Are you locking to VSync, or letting it run wild? - Please tell me what is VSync
What kind of frame rates are you getting? - 70
What does profiling show you? -

I am planning to create a GUI widget , my test applciation will consist of few button and the widget.

Can you please tell me what all things i should take care while designing and creating setup for my application to get the best performance.

rgds,
Ritu

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Performance

Postby CrazyEddie » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:23

V-Sync is "vertical sync", i.e waiting for the screen refresh before drawing the next frame (so the app frame rate is locked to the refresh rate of the screen). 70 fps sounds like you're locking to the screen refresh.

To get the best possible performance for widgets, you should pre-calculate and cache details as much as possible; this way you can concentrate on just doing the actual drawing at render time.

Apart from this, all the usual things apply. Though in general you shouldn't be concerned about performance until you have things written and working. It's pointless worrying about performance until you have something you can profile and tweak.

CE.

ritz
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Performance

Postby ritz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 03:48

Hello ,

Thanks for the tip.

I will get back to this issue once things will be ready from my side.

Rgds,
Ritz

ritz
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Performance

Postby ritz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 02:28

Hello CE,

I am able to create a tree widget with basic functionality of expand and colpase.Thanks for help.

Again same performance issue is bothering me.

What i could get after executing all the demo's on my machine (demo-7,4,6,8) same 99% utilization.I have already talked about the same in the thread.

I have just executed the release build available with the demo's.

Same issue lies with my widget also.

Can you please suggest what do i do?

Is such high frame rate in demo's - 70 frams/sec is the issue.
how do i reduce the same.most imp is what is expected frame rate in standard OGRE and CEGUI application.

rgds,
Ritz

CrazyEddie
CEGUI Project Lead

Performance

Postby CrazyEddie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:36

I suspect that It wouldn't matter if you had nothing on screen at all, the application (as would the demo apps) would still consume 99% of processor power; it's just the way the apps are constructed. You could run them on a gigantic super-computer and still get the same ;)

IMO, the only time you need to worry about performance is if you notice issues in you application. Looking at a CPU meter showing 99% usage is not normally indicative of any performance issues; especially for the kind of apps that most people are developing (if it were a background app, or some other non-performance app, then I'd be concerned, but since this library, and Ogre, are not really aimed at this kind of thing, it's not a concern at all).

CE.

ritz
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Performance

Postby ritz » Thu Dec 30, 2004 04:51

Hello CE,

Thanks a Lot for response.

rgds,
Ritz

Return to “CEGUI Library Development Discussion”